About the job
This is a non-sworn technical position encompassing the installation, maintenance, development of hardware and software platforms, and operations.
Provides remote and desk- side support for end-user computing devices, peripherals, applications, mobile devices, telephones, and audio-visual equipment. This position supports the deployment, relocation, and upgrade of end-user hardware, and provides timely and effective issue resolution and request fulfillment. Work includes providing first level services to departmental users to address specific hardware and software issues and questions through remote connectivity, on site visits, or phone conversations; troubleshooting computers and computer peripherals; managing security/antivirus issues; installing computer hardware and peripherals; installing software; providing assistance on networking issues; building and deploying images for desktops and laptops; setting up new users; working under the direction of other IT staff on special technology projects; and documenting work in ServiceNow. Employees handle basic concerns independently and troubleshoot concerns, but more complex technical, network, server, or other problems are referred to technical specialists. Work requires continuous selfstudy to ensure a high level of working knowledge for current and emerging technologies associated with personal computing and mobile devices. A high level of communication skill is required to effectively disseminate information to end users, co-workers, and management. The proper candidate will possess a high degree of initiative, and the ability to work under pressure when deadlines must be met. Work is under general supervision and is evaluated through review of work produced, feedback from users, and observation of use of skills and technical knowledge.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Answers and responds to help desk calls and troubleshoots issues in computers and peripherals; provides hardware replacement, maintenance, or repair as needed; responds through remote connectivity or on-site visit.
- Documents issues and corrective actions taken in ServiceNow, escalates complex problems to the next level
- Takes responsibility for follow-up services or problem escalation
- Coordinates vendor repair services for onsite and offsite work
- Diagnoses errors or technical problems; determines and implements proper solutions
- Constantly expand technical knowledge through self-study and/or vendor provided training as deemed necessary by management. Familiarization of vendor provided technical guides to facilitate problem resolution.
- Provides end-user training as required
- Effectively works with customers, service desk and technical services personnel
- Builds positive relationships with customers
- Builds machine images; installs new software and upgrades on computers and laptops; provides setup and configuration of peripherals such as printers, CD, DVD, monitors, scanners and other peripherals; unpacks machines and delivers to worksites.
- Assists in managing anti-virus issues.
- Assists in mitigating security vulnerabilities, updates, and patches.
- Relocates computer and peripheral equipment throughout offices.
- Maintains compliance with hardware and software licensing and inventory.
- Create, modify and maintain user accounts, security groups, distribution lists and assignment of rights and permissions.
- Provide project updates during planning meetings
- This position may be assigned to project lead roles and may have to perform new hire training. Duties are performed under general supervision of the Information Services Manager.
- Conducts research on technical computer topics as requested by the Information Services Manager
- May work 1st or 2nd shift as required.
- Must respond to after-hours calls and/or serve in on- call rotation for I.T. issues in department.
- Continue to expand technical knowledge through self-study and/or vendor provided training as deemed necessary by management. Familiarization of vendor provided technical guides to facilitate problem resolution.
- This position has no direct reports, however, applicants may be assigned to project lead roles and may have to perform new hire training in some capacity. Duties are performed under general supervision of the Information Services Manager.
- Perform related work as required.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s (2-year) college degree in computer science, information systems or equivalent. Employees may substitute additional relevant experience for the required education.
- Valid North Carolina Class C Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
- NCIC/DCI Training and certification required within 4 months of hire date
- Desired Certifications: Microsoft, A+, ITIL, VMWARE, DCI
Experience and Training Guidelines:
- Experience with Windows, Windows Server, MAC, IOS, and Android operating systems.
- Highly developed hardware/software troubleshooting techniques.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems with peripherals such as printers, scanners,FAX machines, digital cameras, DVD/CD players, etc.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Strong organizational skills and very detail oriented.
- Manage and prioritize workload (ServiceNow experience a plus)
- Creative problem-solving ability.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with support team members and end users.
- Willingness to keep current and actively seek new information and technology in the operation and processing of computer systems.
- Cisco UCS Servers
- Netapp SAN
- Global Protect VPN
- CrowdStrike Endpoint Protection
- Office 365
- Microsoft Intune
- Watchguard Body worn cameras
- Computer Aided Dispatching applications
- Multi Factor Authentication applications (Entrust and Microsoft)
- Industry standards and best practices.
- The capabilities, uses, and functions of computer systems.
- Techniques of system analysis/troubleshooting as well as statistical analysis.
- High level hardware/software troubleshooting techniques.
- Windows operating systems from Windows XP to current.
- Windows server 2003/2008, Active Directory, Group Policy.
- Networking and TCP/IP protocol.
- Computer imaging software and techniques.
- Software development and performance tools. (HTML, PHP, ASP, JAVA, Jscript, VB script, SQL, etc..)
- To plan, direct, and supervise the work of subordinate professional and technical personnel.
- To direct the preparation and completion of clear and effective systems analysis and programming studies.
- To complete the installation and configuration of computer applications.
- To effectively communicate ideas, technical issues, and solution orally and in writing to department and city management.
- To establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- To work an on-call schedule when required.
- To function in a team environment and represent RPD in a professional to other city departments, vendors, and external agencies.
- Must be able to work on call.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Use repetitive hand motions.
- Speak and hear clearly.
- Stand and walk for periods of time.
- Occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 50+ pounds.
- Must be able to function as a member of a team, as well as represent RPD in a professional manner, while interacting with other City Departments, vendors, and outside agencies
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Most tasks associated with this position are in an office environment, however, some tasks may be performed in non-typical areas (e.g. in the field, police vehicles, warehouse environment.
- Address Raleigh, NC, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 0-5