Full Job Description
Battelle delivers when others can’t. We conduct research and development, manage national laboratories, design and manufacture products and deliver critical services for our clients—whether they are a multi-national corporation, a small start-up or a government agency.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Battelle is seeking a Junior Network Security Researcher for our Cyber Business Line. The position location is our Chantilly, VA office. Travel to the Pentagon, Columbus OH, and/or other Customer locations may be necessary based on program or customer needs. This position reports to the Division Manager, Cyber Solutions Division (CSD).
A Junior Network Security Researcher at Battelle is knowledgeable on infrastructure and operation of transmission of data across the Internet and local networks. Network Security Researchers are experts in the OSI model and have knowledge of encryption. This job is right if you have a passion for understanding how machines talk to one another through packet inspection, troubleshooting anomalous network behavior, and designing solutions with a project team.
At Battelle, a Junior Network Security Researcher position is not only knowledgeable in their technical field but continues to build upon that knowledge becoming a resource for colleagues will less experience and lead small projects.
Battelle is a not-for-profit 501c3, which means that we invest in our employees and ideas. We fund internal research and development ideas, we have paid training budgets, and we have snacks and coffee. Our work environment is t-shirt/jeans, and flexible hours.
- As part of a project team, implement architectures for simulated an/or emulated portions of customer architectures in a lab environment for troubleshooting and root cause analysis of failures and anomalies. Support analysis and result validation on detection techniques and mitigations of anomalous behaviors.
- Research techniques used by Advanced Persistent Threats (APT) to move and communicate on the network. Assist in determining which techniques would be blocked by customer network security controls and policies. Support simulating remaining techniques in a lab and collect data to help develop detection approaches.
- Research emerging trends in networking technology such as software defined networking, network function virtualization and virtual network functions. Support development of experiments to analyze the potential impact of these technologies on customer networks and document results.
- Assists in development of APT detection approaches using rule-based and machine learning methodologies.
- Provide informal technical briefings on testing or experimental results to team members.
- Active TOP SECRET (TS) Clearance; must be Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) eligible.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree or a related field and networking experience.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to teammates
- Must be sole US Citizen.
- Experience with Linux, virtualization like VMware vSphere, and Microsoft Windows
- Hands on experience with packet capture (tcpdump, WireShark) and network intrusion detection (Snort, Suricata, Zeek, etc.) tools.
- Familiarity with Python 3.x and Python libraries for machine learning such as TensorFlow.
- Familiarity with C11 and C++ 11 or newer
- Experience with behavioral models (MITRE ATT&CK, Lockheed Martin “Cyber Kill Chain”, etc..) for advanced persistent threats (APT).
Benefits: Live an Extraordinary Life
We care about your well-being, not just on the job. Battelle offers comprehensive and competitive benefits to help you live your best life.
- Balance life through a compressed work schedule: Most of our team follows a flexible, compressed work schedule that allows for every other Friday off—giving you a dedicated day to accomplish things in your personal life without using vacation time.
- Take time to recharge: You get paid time off to support work-life balance and keep motivated.
- Prioritize wellness: Stay healthy with medical, dental, and vision coverage with wellness incentives and benefits plus a variety of optional supplemental benefits.
- Better together: Coverage for partners, gender-affirming care and health support, and family formation support.
- Build your financial future: Build financial stability with an industry-leading 401(k) retirement savings plan. For most employees, we put in 5 percent whether you contribute or not, and match your contributions on top of that.
- Advance your education: Tuition assistance is available to pursue higher education.
- Flexible work arrangements: You have options for where you work and when you work.
A Work Environment Where You Succeed
For brilliant minds in science, technology, engineering and business operations, Battelle is the place to do the greatest good by solving humanity’s most pressing challenges and creating a safer, healthier and more secure world.
You will have the opportunity to thrive in a culture that inspires you to:
- Apply your talent to challenging and meaningful projects
- Receive select funding to pursue ideas in scientific and technological discovery
- Collaborate with world-class experts in an inclusive environment
- Nurture and develop the next generation of scientific leaders
- Give back to and improve our communities
Vaccinations & Safety Protocols
Battelle may require employees, based on job duties, work location, and/or its clients’ requirements to follow certain safety protocols and to be vaccinated against a variety of viruses, bacteria, and diseases as a condition of employment and continued employment and to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated. If applicable, Battelle will provide reasonable accommodations based on a qualified disability or medical condition through the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act or for a sincerely held religious belief under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (and related state laws).
Battelle is an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle’s Legal Department.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
- Salary Offer $98.7K - $125K
- Address 3800 Concorde Pkwy, Chantilly, VA, USA
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5