About the job
Build a better career with MSC.
Serving customer and community starts with the very best people doing their very best work. That is precisely what we have at MSC Industrial Supply Co., a leading North American distributor of metalworking and maintenance, repair, and operations (MRO) products and services. Watch HERE to find out why you should work at MSC and join us as we continue to build a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Requisition ID :10422
Employment Type :Full Time
Job Category :Information Technology
Work Location :Melville, NY (CSC) – Remote
State or Province :New York (US-NY)
Potential Work Location :United States : New York : Melville
Brief Position Summary
The position of Lead Software Developer represents the best in the field. This position will demonstrate expert development skills by working independently and collaboratively on innovative solutions to complex business problems. Utilizing R&D, rapid prototyping and other collaborative development techniques to will create solutions that add business value and create competitive advantage for MSC. The Lead Software Developer demonstrates technical leadership by teaching and coaching others, collaborating with peers on system design and coding techniques, driving technical conversations and crafting creative solutions to challenging business problems.
In addition to developing great software, this position will lead and coach others, challenge prevailing assumptions, drive improvements, establish project milestones, assist with planning and resource scheduling and make decisions which will shape the work-stream and outcome of a project. By applying development, technical expertise and leadership skills this position will have a positive impact on MSC’s software development capabilities.
DUTIES And RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads the software design effort, decomposing problems into their simplest forms, applying abstraction and encapsulation to craft solutions that will perform and scale while meeting the business requirements.
- Leads and coaches the team to make great decisions and actions. Use experience and leadership skills to create designs, unravel tough technical problems and allow the team to punch above their weight.
- Establishes advanced techniques for defect identification and resolution before they make it to production.
- Responsible for finding new and innovative techniques to identify, track and resolve problems to make the software development environment efficient. Continuous improvement is priority.
- Using business experience and knowledge to analyze what could go wrong, help the team fix the problems and to be proactive to learn from any issues.
- Demonstrates a structured, fact-based approach to problems under sub-optimal conditions. Provides guidance to the team.
- Keeps abreast of the latest techniques and technologies. Responsible for learning and sharing the latest trends and directions in technology.
- Demonstrates technical expertise to others by blogging, conducting Lunch and Learns, developing proof of concepts, and making suggestions how technology can be used in every day projects.
- Understands the business and act like an owner. Interact with business partners, develop a network and understand the “Why”.
- Drives growth, efficiency and competitive advantage.
- Applies expert knowledge to help build a successful plan and help drive the work and plans of others.
- Fosters the MSC Culture in the department and throughout the company to ensure fulfillment of MSC’s vision and unity of purpose.
- Participation in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
EDUCATION And EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related discipline or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in advance software development required.
- Proven track record of designing software systems to solve complex business problems. Able to utilize design methodologies such as water fall, agile, Feature driven development etc.
- Advanced understanding of object-oriented programming and functional programming concepts with knowledge of an object-oriented programming language such as Java, Swift, C#, C++ required.
- Ability to work with testing organizations for test case development, test case execution and defect resolution.
- Experience with test case automation tools such as Selenium, Junit, StormRunner, etc.
- Experience implementing systems utilizing query languages to relational or no-SQL database required.
- Advanced understanding of computer science concepts including hardware architecture, database, networking, computer languages, and operating systems.
- Demonstrates ability to understand the business with effective and timely communications with business partners. Understands the audience and tailors’ messages for the audience. Demonstrates good communication by listening to all sides of the story. Moves the ball forward by leveraging your internal networks.
- Acts as a self-starter by seizing new opportunities, stepping up and handling tough issues and showing a can-do attitude in good times and bad. Energizes and engages the team by leading by example.
- Thinks creatively, have high standards and sets aggressive goals. Pursues everything with energy and focus on obtaining set goals. Pushes through setbacks to achieve objectives and demonstrates a track record of exceeding goals. Demonstrate leadership by pushing yourself and others to achieve more.
- Connects and works collaboratively with others within and outside the organization. Demonstrates leadership while working collaboratively by representing own point of view while being fair to others and giving credit to all who have had a part. Gain the trust of peers while collaborating on objectives.
- Takes on new assignments in or outside of the workgroup. Manages multiple and interdependent work streams in a controlled and disciplined manner.
- Learns and improves by adapting to changing business needs and accepting feedback. Identifies improvement opportunities and coaches’ others to improve their performance.
- Empowered by working through ambiguity to successfully develop great business solutions. Demonstrates technical leadership by getting to the why of the problem. Makes sound decisions in absence of solid information. Shows wisdom and judgement by considering all relevant factors and work to the best solution not necessarily a perfect solution. Demonstrate that you understand the 80/20 rule and when it should be applied.
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel up to 10% of the time are required.
Why MSC? People. Collaboration. Insight. That’s how you build something that works. Built on a foundation of trust, MSC works side by side with our customers to help them drive business results. With more than one million product offerings and 75+ years of experience across industries, MSC strives to help our customers achieve greater productivity, profitability, and growth through inventory management and other innovative supply chain solutions. We care about our associates and have programs in place to help our 6,500+ team members achieve their potential.
When you join our team, you will receive rewards and recognition for your contributions, training and professional development opportunities, Associate Inclusion Circles: Women, Pride, Black, Veterans, HOLA and DisABLEd as well as a variety of benefits to support you and your family’s health, well-being, and financial future. If you are inspired to learn, take risks, and succeed as a team, you can build a better career at MSC.
Equal Opportunity Statement: At MSC, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all qualified applicants and our associates without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or any category protected by applicable law. By applying to this job you agree to the Application and Acknowledgment Declaration terms. Click HERE to review.
- Address Melville, NY, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10