The Data Engineer will play a pivotal role in operationalizing the most-urgent data and analytics initiatives for The RMR Group’s business initiatives. The bulk of the data engineer’s work would be building, managing, and optimizing data pipelines and then moving these data pipelines effectively into production for key data and analytics consumers.
Data engineers also need to guarantee compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This would enable faster data access, integrated data reuse, and vastly improved time-to-solution for The RMR Group’s data and analytics initiatives.
This role will require both creative and collaborative working with IT and the wider business. It will involve evangelizing effective data management practices and promoting a better understanding of data and analytics. The data engineer will also be tasked with working with key business stakeholders, IT experts, and commercial real estate experts to plan and deliver optimal analytics and data science solutions.
- Serve as a key contributor to identify, evaluate, and execute the development and implementation of data infrastructure.
- Perform analysis on large datasets to make and implement recommendations for maximizing customer experience
- Assists in the design and implementation of relational databases and structures as needed
- Works collaboratively with Application development teams throughout the product development process, to ensure optimal usage of SQL Server for storage and transaction processing
- Build data pipelines with Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence stack including relational databases, data cubes (tabular/multidimensional), SQL Reporting, Power BI, and other tools as needed. Managed data pipelines consist of a series of stages through which data flows. These data pipelines must be created, maintained, and optimized as workloads move from development to production for specific use cases. Architecting, creating, and maintaining data pipelines will be the primary responsibility of the data engineer.
- Writes, refines, and optimizes T-SQL code for maximum performance, reliability, and maintainability
- Participates in developing cutting-edge storage design structures and data processing flows
- Creates documentation for both new and existing code
- Drive automation through effective metadata management: The data engineer will be responsible for using innovative and modern tools, techniques, and architectures to partially or completely automate the most common, repeatable, and tedious data preparation and integration tasks to minimize manual and error-prone processes and improve productivity. The data engineer will also need to assist with renovating the data management infrastructure to drive automation in data integration and management.
- Collaborate across departments: The data engineer will need strong collaboration skills to work with varied stakeholders within the organization. In particular, the data engineer will work in close relationship with business experts in refining their data requirements for various data and analytics initiatives and their data consumption requirements.
- Educate and train: The data engineer should be curious and knowledgeable about new data initiatives and how to address them. This includes applying their data and/or domain understanding in addressing new data requirements. They will also be responsible for proposing appropriate (and innovative) data ingestion, preparation, integration, and operationalization techniques in optimally addressing these data requirements. The data engineer will be required to train counterparts in these data pipelining and preparation techniques, which make it easier for them to integrate and consume the data they need for their use cases.
- Participate in ensuring compliance and governance during data use: It will be the responsibility of the data engineer to ensure that the data users and consumers use the data provisioned to them responsibly through data governance and compliance initiatives.
- Become a data and analytics evangelist: The data engineer will be considered a blend of data and analytics “evangelist,” “data guru” and “fixer.” This role will promote the available data and analytics capabilities and expertise to business unit leaders and educate them in leveraging these capabilities in achieving their business goals.
- Participate in logic and technical design, peer code reviews, unit testing, and documentation of code developed.
- Participate in agile development teams, including interacting with both business analysts and end-users to come up with well-performing and scalable solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, data management, information systems, information science, or a related quantitative field or equivalent work experience is required. 5+ years of experience developing SQL/T-SQL including, Single-row and Multi-row functions, complex joins, Common Table Expressions (CTEs), Procedures, Packages, ETL jobs, and Data linages in ADF.
- Strong ability to design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata, and workload management. The ability to work with both IT and business in integrating analytics and data science output into business processes and workflows.
- Strong experience with popular database programming languages including SQL for relational databases and knowledge of upcoming NoSQL/Hadoop oriented databases like MongoDB, Cosmos DB, others for nonrelational databases.
- Strong experience in working with large, heterogeneous datasets in building and optimizing data pipelines, pipeline architectures, and integrated datasets using traditional data integration technologies. These should include ETL/ELT, data replication/CDC, message-oriented data movement, and API design.
- Strong experience in working with and optimizing existing ETL processes and data integration and data preparation flows and helping to move them in production.
- Experience working with popular data discovery, analytics, and BI software tools like Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx, and others.
- Experience with the Microsoft SQL Server Business Intelligence stack (SSAS, SSIS, SSRS), and Excel/Power Query
- Ability to apply DevOps principles to data pipelines to improve the communication, integration, reuse, and automation of data flows between data managers and consumers across an organization
- Commercial real estate industry knowledge or previous experience would be a plus.
- Experience with agile and lean development methodologies (SCRUM/Lean).
- Must be a self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills and excellent written/verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience with cloud data management and analytics with Microsoft Azure or Amazon AWS are strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- RMR considers the safety of its employees a top priority. As part of this commitment, RMR requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Qualified candidates who are offered the opportunity to join RMR will be required to provide proof of vaccination prior to the first day of work. Applicants who need additional information concerning RMR’s vaccination policy should contact Diane Proctor, Vice President, Human Resources at Dproctor@rmrgroup.com
The RMR Group (Nasdaq: RMR) is a leading U.S. alternative asset management company, unique for its focus on commercial real estate (CRE) and related businesses. RMR’s vertical integration is supported by nearly 600 real estate professionals in over 30 offices nationwide who manage over $33 billion in assets under management and leverage 35 years of institutional experience in buying, selling, financing and operating CRE. RMR benefits from a scalable platform, a deep and experienced management team and a diversity of direct real estate strategies across its clients.
RMR’s mission is to create long term value for our clients by managing their investments and assets “like we own it” – an approach that consistently and repeatedly generates opportunities for all our employees, investors and stakeholders. We are guided by six core values:
- Integrity at Our Core.
- Perform Passionately and Effectively.
- Inspired Thinking.
- Like We Own It.
- Power of We.
- Mutual Respect.
RMR has been rated a Top Place to Work by The Boston Globe and GlobeSt.com, and has been recognized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International and the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), among others (listed here), as a CRE industry leader.
Follow RMR on LinkedIn and on Twitter @The_RMR_Group.
The RMR Group is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
Job ID 2021-1951
- Address Newton, MA, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 5-10