Welcome to Cook County, IL, the second most populous county in America with more than 5 million residents. We have long been a global beacon of opportunity and progress, driving ways to grow with our residents and our diverse businesses, organizations, and universities.
Led by Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle, we take pride in running an open, honest, and efficient government that provides high- quality services to our dynamic center for culture, industry, finance, education, travel, art, and play.
How We Work for Cook County
The services provided to the residents of Cook County are the responsibility of eleven separately -elected public officials, including the Cook County Board President. Those services fall under five broad mandates:
– Promoting healthy families through access to community-based healthcare and other public health services;
– Promoting equitable economic and community development;
– Supporting the criminal justice system and the administration of court services;
– Building, managing and conserving County assets through finance and administrative services; and
– Collecting revenue to fund County government through property assessment and taxation services.
Our Guiding Principles
Fiscal Responsibility: Ensure Cook County taxpayer dollars are used effectively. Deliver a balanced budget. Institute long-term financial planning and improve efficiencies. Innovative Leadership: Create a culture of exemplary leadership, professionalism, and collaboration in County government, which makes it possible to deliver high-quality services to residents.
Transparency & Accountability: Promote transparency to make government more effective, with greater trust from its residents and improved employee morale.
Improved Services: Provide high-quality, reliable frontline services to the public in key areas such as criminal justice, healthcare, economic development, and the Forest Preserves.