About the job
APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
Who are we:
We are one of the largest U.S. railroads transporting the nations freight across 28 western states and 3 Canadian provinces. As a member of our team, you will play a role in supporting the movement of essential products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply, and power communities throughout America and the world. Come make a difference with us!
What makes us different:
At BNSF, we do not just talk about culture, we live it. As a team member here, you would immediately experience how our culture is woven into what we do. Our goal is for everyone to achieve their highest potential by focusing on safety, continuous improvement, plus personal and professional growth. As an employee at BNSF, we have multiple programs to ensure that you will be recognized and appreciated for all your impactful work.
We also have plenty of developmental opportunities to further your career! Many of our team members that joined BNSF have experienced multiple career paths that were completely unplanned to them. We make development a priority at BNSF.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture. We have been recognized by multiple organizations such as Forbes (Best Employer for Women and New College Grads), Military Times (Best for Vets), and the Human Rights Campaign (Best Place to Work) for our outstanding culture!
The paid Summer Internship Program is an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be a full-time BNSF employee. As an intern at BNSF, you’ll be given real-life, impactful assignments that will put your skills and education into practice. Your summer project will combine classroom experience and real-life business situations to provide value-added work to BNSF.
The program is designed to identify students who will be hired by BNSF as full-time Management Trainees after they graduate. During your summer internship, you will get the chance to network with peers, our Business Resource Groups, and Senior Leaders throughout the BNSF network.
- Kick off the summer along with a group of interns for orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. Attend networking events, informal chats with subject-matter experts, partner with a mentor, and get first-hand experience working in preparation for a full-time management trainee position!
- Potential for offer of fulltime position after internship
- Explore a potential career path at BNSF with incredible opportunities for growth and the possibility to travel our network
- Relocation and separate monthly housing stipend (starting at $800 a month!)
- Relocation assistance may be provided to interns who are moving more than 50 driving miles from their current residence.
- Competitive vision, dental, and medical care
- Access to comprehensive discounts on everyday items such as travel, fitness classes (partnership with Peloton), car dealerships, and even mortgages!
- Get connected! Join any of our company-sponsored business resource groups. There are plenty of networking opportunities within BNSF!
- Employee assistance programs to aid in work/life situations such as mental health, legal/financial questions, relationship support, and child/elder care plus more!
- Potential for offer of fulltime position
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
Anticipated Start Date: June 2023
Number of Positions: 20
Salary: $4,625.00 Per Month
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Opportunities exist to gain exposure in the following areas:
- Software Development and Engineering
- Enterprise Intelligence/Analytics and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Cyber Security
- Telecommunications (Telecom)
- Data Center and Network Management
- SAP Development
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- System Architecture
- Mobile & Web Development
- Project Management
- Database Management
- Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence Model Training and Development
- Organizational Change Management
- Machine Vision and Image Analytics
- Cloud Engineering and Administration
- Automation and Robotics, Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
- User Experience Design (UX)
Interns will be placed in one of the following work groups. This is not a rotational position:
Software Development and Engineering:
- Software Development is an exciting area of Technology Services. Diverse skillsets, technologies and programming languages converge to provide solutions to support our dynamic railroad.
- With over 400 applications within the BNSF portfolio, employees can increase their business knowledge, technical skills, and contribute to one of the cornerstones of our economy. We seek talent for a variety of different programming languages and tools.
Some programming languages and tools we use:
- Python, Perl, Ruby
- HTML5, Swift, Flash, Mobility
- Data Platforms/Tools
- SAP (ABAP, Business Objects, HANA)
- Db2 z/OS & LUW, MSSQL Server, Oracle
- MarkLogic, Cassandra, Teradata
- ArcGIS & ESRI
- Azure Data Factory, Tableau, PowerBI, SAS
- Informatica, Kafka
- Telecom designs, builds, and maintains BNSF’s network across the deserts, plains, and mountains in all weather conditions to ensure BNSF’s customers and employees experience flawless performance of the voice, video, data, and drone infrastructure network.
- The team supports over 60,000 network devices deployed in 2700 locations across the BNSF service area. They also support over 120 dispatchers and two-way radio service on over 32,500 route miles connecting locomotives, high rail vehicles, on track work equipment, and handheld portable radios.
- Summer interns have an opportunity to proactively contribute to helping ensure high network availability and on-time train performance by learning areas of support, planning, engineering, and implementation across our digital network.
Some concepts and tools we use:
- Basic data, voice, transport network design principles and technologies, TCP/IP and associated network architecture, IP (Internet Protocol) routing & switching, Software Defined LAN and WAN UHF/VHF radio operation and maintenance, microwave transmission systems, Unified communications design, and implementation.
- The BNSF Infrastructure team is challenged every day with keeping our extensive IT (Information Technology) infrastructure available. We create, maintain, and enhance architecture, security, tools, information, data centers, and so much more.
- Infrastructure works closely with the BNSF application development teams to stand up platforms including IP range, firewalls, physical servers, data centers, cloud, etc.
- Interns will broaden their knowledge of modeling data, designing, and supporting our mid-tier and cloud platforms. While ensuring the security, integrity, and availability of information, maintains an environment conducive to sharing information for business purposes.
- Currently supporting Open Shift, Windows 2016 and 2019, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, Microsoft Azure, & request management automation (ServiceNow, UIPath).
- Currently, BNSF is exploring multiple vendors for Cloud platforms (admin or architect), infrastructure as code, & next gen data centers.
- Using Deep Learning and machine vision models to process large unstructured data (images) on Cloud, GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) clusters and IoT (Internet of Things) platforms for image recognition
Enterprise Analytics and Geographical Information Systems (GIS):
- BNSF’s Enterprise Analytics team manages several initiatives for visualizing, reporting, and developing actionable insights from the company’s data and information platforms.
- Specific initiatives include:
- Analytics Strike Team – evaluates and delivers rapid prototyping for advanced analytics dashboards, artificial intelligence, and predictive tools to improve train operations with real time data.
- GIS team – responsible for corporate-wide GIS strategy and execution. GIS is a core, foundational element for many of our modernization efforts including systems that are driving train operations and management. GIS is also being leveraged across BNSF as an analytical platform to further drive spatial and advanced analytics solutions to improve safety, efficiency, and growth.
- Assist in improving application security including code review, Static Application Security Testing (SAST), Dynamic Application Security Testing (DAST), and defining secure application development guidelines. Discovery and remediation of Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Top 10 and Common Weakness Enumeration (CWE) Top 25 vulnerabilities.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of security operations services, including vulnerability scanning, configuration assessments, and anomaly detection. Identify cyber threats, determine root cause, scope, and severity of each, and compile/report the findings. Work with Penetration Testers and Cybersecurity Assessors to develop new tactics and techniques for identifying suspicious activities.
- Assist in configuring and maintaining user access to network resources and data based on corporate policies, procedures, and standards. Providing end users with the least privileged access required for the assigned job.
- Assist in engineering and maintaining secure network infrastructure, including firewalls, routers, proxy servers, DNS (Domain Name System) infrastructure, RADIUS infrastructure, and wireless networks. Performing network infrastructure security assessments, identify & execute network segmentation opportunities, and automate network security service requests.
Marketing, Intermodal, Machine Vision, UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) and Enterprise Services:
- This team supports a wide variety of functions across the enterprise. The Marketing Systems team support all External facing web tools that are used by BNSF’s end customers and the Customer Relationship Management platform, which is SalesForce. This team also supports the Vendavo platform for managing, maintaining, and publishing pricing information for BNSF’s transportation services.
- Intermodal business is the growth engine for BNSF and the Intermodal Systems team supports BNSF’s Intermodal Customers and Operations. A big part of this growth is dependent on developing cutting edge, innovative, technology solutions for our Intermodal Hubs to handle the future growth along with solutions driving deeper system integration with our end customers for better planning and operations. We are using, evaluating and piloting technologies like UAVs (Drones) and Robots to automate yard operations.
- The machine vision and UAV team is a unique team driving innovation for BNSF. BNSF has a mature Machine Vision program supporting the automated inspection programs for BNSF’s track, locomotives and railcars. High-definition cameras, fixed and moving (up to 70 mph), are used to capture high-definition pictures, which are then analyzed in real time using advanced Artificial Intelligence models to find defects and inspect track and equipment. BNSF also has one of the largest UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle or drones) programs in the industry, with over 300 UAVs and over 200 pilots across the system. This team leverages UAVs for a variety of functions, including aerial surveillance of yards and trains, inspections, and emergency response.
- Enterprise Services is responsible for managing a $150M annual portfolio of technology projects and programs, aimed at driving innovation and growth across BNSF. This team provides end to end delivery support on initiatives, from idea inception to successful deployment of technologies, through critical functions such as project/program management and organizational change enablement.
We use the following major skills, tools, methodologies, and technologies:
- Machine Vision Modelling, Azure, Google, Auto ML (Machine Learning), Teradata, RedHat, SalesForce, Vendavo, Robotics
- Project Management: Waterfall, Agile Scrum, SAFe and Kanban
- Organizational Change Enablement: Prosci ADKAR, Lean Change, Kotter’s Change Model
- Training Development and Delivery
- Facilitation, Communication, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
- Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability to changing task priorities and work situations.
- Demonstrate ability to complete tasks regardless of obstacles.
- Primarily an office environment, with some field activities.
- Normal office hours, Monday through Friday.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above for engineering majors OR cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above for non-engineering majors.
- Current enrollment in a bachelor’s or graduate degree program at an accredited university at the time of application and throughout the duration of the internship. Pursuing a degree in Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Information Technology, Decision Science, Computer or Software Engineering, Management/Business Information Systems, OR any other Technical/Engineering related degree.
- Less than four (4) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Ability to relocate to Fort Worth, TX for the summer.
- General understanding required of Information Systems, including knowledge of application development, database administration, business intelligence, personal computers, and/or local area networks.
- If offered a position by BNSF, I will not require BNSF’s assistance (whether monetary, through sponsorship, or otherwise), now or in the future, to obtain, maintain, or extend my employment authorization (including H-1B or TN nonimmigrant status).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Strong drive for results as well as superior communications and teamwork skills to be able to gather information to identify and resolve problems.
- Graduation date prior to September 1, 2024.
- Ability in any of the following is preferred: application development, project management, mobile device development methodologies, database design, modeling, network planning
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages and tools such as Java, C/C++, .Net(C#), ABAP, HTML5 and/or COBOL.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS:
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
MEDICAL REVIEW ELEMENTS
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
DRUG TEST ELEMENTS
BNSF is committed to a safe and drug free work place and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping BNSF safe and drug free.
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC): Federal authority requires BNSF employees, whose work requires unescorted access to secure areas of port facilities, to obtain a TWIC. A TWIC is a condition of employment for such positions and requires candidates to those positions to submit to a TSA security assessment (to include, but not limited to, providing: biographic information; identity documents; fingerprints; digital photograph). More information is available at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
SF: MO | [[mfield5]] | Technology Services | Fort Worth, TX | 76131 Services | Fort Worth, TX | 76131
- Salary Offer $4,625/month
- Address Fort Worth, TX, USA
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5