About the job
Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Our cross-functional team creates software systems for sourcing, delivering, and analyzing data for IBM’s next generation Cloud. We design and develop platforms and applications that target improvements in efficiency, reliability, and effectiveness of IBM Cloud VPC (Virtual Private Cloud) data collection, delivery and analytics. Our broad focus spans IBM Cloud development and involves active collaboration with all IBM Cloud disciplines compute, networking and storage including broader operations, telemetry, SRE and development teams.
As a software developer you will have the opportunity to create tools and systems to run, deploy, and manage data sourcing and analytics systems. These systems will unify cloud data collection toward common paradigms, transforming diverse sources of operational data into valuable metrics, information, and insight for understanding and improving our operations. You will have the responsibility for developing the systems underlying the management of cloud control plane data analytics from end-to-end as part of a dedicated, energetic, focused team.
You will be a key part of our team realizing the data-driven vision for Cloud infrastructure operations and optimization running the gamut from regular/continuous data analysis for understanding status of operations, issue identification, root-cause analysis, mitigation and capacity management solutions. Applicants with experience in the highly desired areas of developing and deploying Apache Kafka and Spark for data streaming and analytics, mathematics including statistics, machine learning techniques for practical applications, cloud and data center infrastructure operations, cloud native applications/services development and deployment are preferred.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field, with 9+ years experience
- At least 5 years of experience working on complex software development with a focus on software lifecycle, and delivery pipelines, CICD, test, integration, build, and deployment
- Proficient in Hybrid cloud environment ; at least 3 years of experience working in a cloud focused development environment, with an emphasis on virtualization, container management (Kubernetes is nice but systemd/nspawn is more desirable)
- Knowledge of appropriate and state-of-the-art security practices for internal (required) and external (desired) facing applications
- Hands-on experience with production database and data warehousing systems – SQL, and/or cloud-native like Elasticsearch, etc.
- Practical experience with UNIX/Linux operating systems, Dev Ops, and systems management
- Network usage experience appropriate to systems development
- Experience demonstrating desired qualities like attention to details, self-directedness, good problem-solving and multi-tasking skills
- Programming language experience in multiple of the following: Python, Java, Scala, Rust; Jsonnet, YAML
- Scripting language experience against UNIX/Linux systems including
- Full stack development: able to write code/read source in multiple languages, easily learn/adopt new languages to understand full scope of project (Python, Bash, Java, Go Scala, JS, HTML, jsonnet, etc.)
- Committed to staying up to date on best practices in Cybersecurity through training activities (CTFs, practice, etc.)
- Full stack support: General problem solving, debug, and diagnostics across multiple teams, able to quickly pick up various components code and sift through noise to provide valuable information to the proper experts to RCA and resolve issues faster
Preferred Technical And Professional Expertise
- Masters or equivalent degree in computer science/eng. or statistics/machine-learning/AI fields
- Programming and deployment experience for data analysis applications
- Experience working on data integration, data integrity, data analytics or data science projects (industry or experience in post-bachelor degree programs can count towards this criteria, as appropriate)
- Experience with technologies enabling reliable data streaming/processing pipelines such as Apache Kafka, Spark, Elasticsearch, Splunk; database and data visualization technologies for operations such as SQL dbs, Influxdb, Grafana, Kibana
- Experience with using and/or developing custom API’s for data ingress/egress and system interfaces
- Experience with monitoring systems (open and closed-source) such as Zabbix, Sysdig, New Relic
- Open source contributor (personal website, committer to key publicly available open source codebases)
About Business Unit
Digitization is accelerating the ongoing evolution of business, and clouds – public, private, and hybrid – enable companies to extend their existing infrastructure and integrate across systems. IBM Cloud provides the security, control, and visibility that our clients have come to expect. We are working to provide the right tools and environment to combine all of our client’s data, no matter where it resides, to respond to changing market dynamics.
Your Life @ IBM
Are you craving to learn more? Prepared to solve some of the world’s most unique challenges? And ready to shape the future for millions of people? If so, then it’s time to join us, express your individuality, unleash your curiosity and discover new possibilities.
Every IBMer, and potential ones like yourself, has a voice, carves their own path, and uses their expertise to help co-create and add to our story. Together, we have the power to make meaningful change – to alter the fabric of our clients, of society and IBM itself, to create a truly positive impact and make the world work better for everyone.
It’s time to define your career.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries. IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work.
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM’s learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
- Computer Hardware
- Information Technology
- Address Raleigh, NC, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 5-10
- Academic Degree Bachelors