About the job
The Software Deployment Engineer is responsible for deploying and updating software applications and operating systems across the global enterprise. The position will work in a fast-paced environment ensuring the efficient and secure operation of Carlyle’s global information systems. The candidate will perform routine and ad-hoc patching and software distributions, manage security configuration of systems, provide reports that demonstrate system health and compliance based on pre-defined standards, conduct routine maintenance of the systems, and drive innovation to ensure high quality solutions. This position will be responsible for resolving complex issues related to software deployment in the enterprise, using creative problem solving techniques with the ability to identify the root cause of the problem effectively. This role will work with cross-functional teams across a variety of technology lanes. The Software Deployment Engineer will be responsible for designing, building, and managing advanced patch management and software deployment solutions. This role will bring expertise in providing architectural guidance for deployment solution improvements and introduce the automation of repetitive management tasks and deployments into the production and development environments. The Software Deployment Engineer will apply automation best practices and continuously work to increase efficiencies with regards to end user computing, cloud technologies, and on-premise core infrastructure systems. A successful Software Deployment Engineer should have strong knowledge of scripting principles, on-premise core infrastructure, cloud technologies, and client image/software deployment tools.
The position is expected to manage the following responsibilities:
- Assess software patches and create recommended patch list with logical explanation in terms of compliance
- Develop and optimize pre- and post- patching process to ensure proper implementation minimizing outage windows
- Score each patch based on risks & opportunity to prioritize. Identify which patches are more valuable to the organization than others.
- Coordinate patch schedule with other teams such as patch team, infrastructure management, security operations, governance & risk. Communicate project and operational metrics.
- Assist in developing action plans, schedules, budgets, status, and metrics reports as well as other management communications intended to improve and enterprise patch management program.
- Must be able to create deployment patch packages using Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (SCCM)
- Thorough testing of patches in a non-Production environment. Must be able to think ahead to avoid business outages based on the lab results.
- Develop and implement patch and vulnerability remediation process including package creation, testing, and deployment.
- Interact, meet, discuss, and troubleshoot issues with vendors; evaluate vendor products, services, and suggestions.
- Develop and document technical processes and procedures as needed.
- Operating System Deployment (OSD) support (PXE booting, Boot Images, Task Sequence configuration, etc.)
- Software distribution and patch management as well as building and deploying software packages to workstations
- Migrate BitLocker integration into Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager
- Addressing security vulnerabilities through comprehensive patch management and mass remediation
- Automated Software Package Deployment – Preparing standard software suites (Microsoft Office, Adobe Reader, etc.) for automated deployment using Microsoft SCCM. Tasks will include customization of files, building of configuration scripts, deployment testing, and package documentation
- Implementation of automation tools to increase software deployment and patching efficiencies
- Work through client issue patterns to identify automation opportunities and develop effective solutions to address reoccurring problems
- Write code and scripts to automate provisioning of AWS services and to configure services, using tools and languages including AWS CLI / API, CloudFormation, PowerShell, Bash, and Git.
- Supervise vendor activities to ensure systems are maintained efficiently
- Manage system and support documentation
- Evaluate and build Proof of Concept (PoC) for new products/solutions
- Build and deploy automated solutions for automated desktop management
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technology related field of study or equivalent industry experience is preferred.
- 6+ experience supporting diverse IT systems, processes, or capabilities, required
- Five years of Information Technology security patch management, at least 3 years with large enterprise organizations
- Expert working knowledge and hands-on experience with SCCM and excellent competency with other patching tools
- Windows 10 image and deployment knowledge – strong knowledge of Windows 10 operating system, deployment practices, and new capabilities supporting provisioning, patching, and overall management of Windows 10 devices
- The ability to work closely with business and development and a thorough understanding of the balance between business and patch requirements
- Proficiency in scripting of packages, installation of patches, software, and configuration changes.
- Extensive hands-on experience automating SCCM processes through scripting using PowerShell
- SCCM Application package creation, distribution, and deployment through SCCM using the console as well as through PowerShell Scripting
- Expert experience with SCCM package deployment and SCCM task sequences with MDT
- Desktop support experience – Highly skilled troubleshooting OS level stability and performance issues on desktop/laptop equipment
- Understanding and application of QA testing principles
- Experience with automated application testing
- Experience with Office 365 services (Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, OneDrive, Teams, Office Apps)
- Experience with endpoint security tools (AV, EDR, SASE, etc.)
- Experience with change control and knowledge management
- Comfortable multi-tasking and working as part of a global team, as well as working independently and taking ownership
- Experience with scripting languages (python, bash, perl, php, powershell)
- Working knowledge of enterprise networking
- Experience with automation tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Puppet, Salt a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) is a global investment firm with $301 billion of assets under management and more than half of the AUM managed by women, across 456 investment vehicles as of December 31, 2021. Founded in 1987 in Washington, DC, Carlyle has grown into one of the world’s largest and most successful investment firms, with more than 1,800 professionals operating in 26 offices in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia. Carlyle places an emphasis on development, retention and inclusion as supported by our internal processes and seven Employee Resource Groups (ERGs). Carlyle’s purpose is to invest wisely and create value on behalf of its investors, which range from public and private pension funds to wealthy individuals and families to sovereign wealth funds, unions and corporations. Carlyle invests across three segments – Global Private Equity, Global Credit and Investment Solutions – and has expertise in various industries, including: aerospace, defense & government services, consumer & retail, energy, financial services, healthcare, industrial, real estate, technology & business services, telecommunications & media and transportation.
- Salary Offer $72,000/yr to $125,000/yr
- Address New York, NY, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10