Do you want to be part of a collaborative Legal Practice Group?
Are you a problem solver who enjoys diving into complex regulatory issues and supporting the management of an enterprise-wide privacy and cybersecurity program, is excited by identifying practical solutions to meet business goals, and possesses good interpersonal skills to effectively interface with technical and business teams? Is a culture where “People Count,” “We Do the Right Thing,” and “We Hold Ourselves to Very High Standards” important to you? If so, Guardian is seeking a data privacy compliance paralegal to provide a high quality and diverse range of compliance services and legal support to the Law Department, with attorney supervision as appropriate.
The position comes with the opportunities and challenges inherent in working collaboratively with several attorneys and other paralegals, who support multiple business units on a broad range of legal and compliance issues. You will have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects and assignments and must have the ability to multi-task and prioritize. Interpersonal skills, initiative and excellent communication skills will be critical to success in this position.
Someone who enjoys working in a team environment while achieving results independently, your confidence allows you to develop relationships with a wide variety of individuals and to make decisions and you can juggle multiple assignments and clearly and concisely communicate advice.
- A Paralegal certification or degree.
- Prior privacy compliance or insurance compliance experience preferred.
- Demonstrated skills and is well versed in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Strong legal, compliance research and writing skills.
- Manage and oversee the process that supports the tracking of and response to privacy incidents across the company, ensuring the actions taken are consistent with company standards, policies, and procedures, as well as applicable law. This will include:
- Triage and analysis of suspected privacy incidents reported to the practice group to ensure appropriate and immediate response.
- Oversight of complex in-depth investigations of privacy incidents.
- Management of breach notification efforts including coordination with outside resources.
- Maintenance of practice group database(s) of privacy incidents.
- Support for executive-level information incident response team, which will include coordinating training to ensure readiness, as well as managing execution of incident response in accordance with Guardian’s Privacy Incident Response Plan.
- Plan and manage preparation of relevant privacy metrics and privacy program management reports to senior management.
- Participate in privacy forums, build partnerships internally across Guardian, and help ensure that the protection of privacy is embedded in Guardian’s fundamental business practices and policies.
- Provide support to business-areas, including Business-Area Privacy Liaisons, on privacy strategies and approaches to implement in their organizations.
- Assist in driving cross-functional engagement across the enterprise, including among senior leadership, to promote the protection of privacy.
- Function as a primary interface and escalation point between the practice group and business unit Privacy Liaisons who are responsible for assisting in management of the Privacy Program at the business level and ongoing compliance with existing privacy regulations and laws.
- Assist with the development, rollout and management of an annual privacy assessment and inventory.
- Assist with development, rollout and management of enterprise annual privacy awareness training.
- Provide effective, prompt privacy compliance advice and support business units in operationalizing privacy compliance, rectifying problems, and responding to emerging challenges.
- Participate in practice group initiatives in the area of Privacy and Data Governance.
- Keep informed regarding pending industry changes, trends, and best practices and assess the potential impact of these changes on organizational processes.
- The primary location for this position is New York, NY with some WFH flexibility.
Covid – 19 vaccinations required for this position.
Any offer of employment will be contingent upon the candidate’s affirmation of being Full Vaccinated prior to commencing employment in the new role. New hires will have five business days from their start date to provide proof of vaccination through our Vaccination Status Confirmation Form. “Fully Vaccinated” means that at least two weeks have elapsed since you received the recommended number of doses of any COVID-19 vaccine that is currently fully approved, or authorized for emergency use, by the Food and Drug Administration or that have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.
If an applicant is unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief, practice or observance, Guardian may provide reasonable accommodations. This policy may not apply to any Guardian colleagues working in a local jurisdiction (state, county, or city) that implements a law prohibiting a private employer from requiring vaccination, unless there is an applicable vaccine mandate from the federal government that would supersede the vaccination laws of the local jurisdiction. Guardian, in its sole discretion, may modify or terminate this requirement at any time.
- At Guardian, you’ll have the support and flexibility to achieve your professional and personal goals.
- Through skill-building, leadership development and philanthropic opportunities, we provide opportunities to build communities and grow your career, surrounded by diverse colleagues with high ethical standards.
- Meaningful and challenging work opportunities to accelerate technology and innovation in a secure and compliant way.
- Competitive compensation.
- Excellent medical, dental, supplemental health, life and vision coverage for you and your dependents with no wait period.
- Life and disability insurance.
- A great 401(k) with match.
- Tuition assistance, paid parental leave and backup family care.
- Dynamic, modern work environments that promote collaboration and creativity.
- Flexible time off, dress code, and work location policies to balance your work and life in the ways that suit you best.
- Social responsibility in all aspects of our work. We volunteer within our local communities, create educational alliances with colleges, drive a variety of initiatives in sustainability, and advocate for diversity and inclusion in all that we do.
Guardian has been helping people protect their futures and secure their lives for 160 years. Every day, we serve approximately 29 million people through a range of insurance and financial products. We help people and their families pursue financial security and well-being in life, health, and wealth. We help companies take care of their employees. And we help people recover and thrive after unexpected loss.
From our founding in 1860, when a community of immigrants joined together to insure and protect their businesses and families, doing the right thing for our policyholders and customers has guided everything we do. Our dedication to customers has helped us remain one of the most highly rated in client satisfaction and financial strength. And as one of the largest mutual insurance companies, we know what matters most: putting the needs of our customers first. Because everyone deserves a Guardian. Learn more about Guardian at www.GuardianLife.com.
© Copyright 2021 The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, New York, NY
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Guardian® is a registered trademark of the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America.
- Address New York, NY, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5