Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson (NYSE: MATX) is a leading provider of ocean transportation and logistics services. Matson provides a vital lifeline to the domestic non-contiguous economies of Hawaii, Alaska, and Guam, and to other island economies in Micronesia. Matson also operates premium, expedited services from China to Long Beach, California, provides service to Okinawa, Japan and various islands in the South Pacific, and operates an international export service from Dutch Harbor to Asia. The Company‘s fleet of owned and chartered vessels includes containerships, combination container and roll-on/roll-off ships and custom-designed barges. Matson Logistics, established in 1987, extends the geographic reach of Matson’s transportation network throughout North America. Its integrated, asset-light logistics services include rail intermodal, highway brokerage, warehousing, freight consolidation, Asia supply chain services, and forwarding to Alaska.
This position is a critical technology leadership role in Matson IT and is responsible for ensuring the delivery of the right solutions to empower business strategies.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing rationale for design decisions, balancing the concerns
of the various stakeholders, driving down technical risks, and ensuring that decisions are effectively communicated, validated, and adhered to. The individual must provide technical leadership in
developing approaches to the solution of critical architecture problems and broad design issues.
- Specialize in one or more business verticals of Matson to provide domain specific solutions.
- Work with the project teams to recommend the architecture approach for applications and define in an increasing level of detail as the project progresses.
- Lead design review process and ensure recommendations made are understood by recipients and are monitored during the project life cycle.
- Research, analyze and recommend new technologies, frameworks, processes, and tools to further Matson’s technology architecture.
- Be able to explain and educate complex solutions and integrations in a clear and articulate manner, using illustrative techniques (e.g. UML diagrams) as necessary.
- Develop Proof of Concepts that may include, analysis of problem, finding an optimal solution, design, development, and documentation.
- Contribute to the troubleshooting of difficult application production issues including performance tuning, memory management, database or other environment and architecture related issues.
- Provide thought leadership by educating and sharing best practices, building deep relationships with organization leaders, conducting brown bag sessions, mentoring junior team members and writing white papers.
- Collaborate with various Matson teams to define application standards, conventions, and best practices.
- Report and escalate to senior management as needed.
- Execute other job duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- Twenty (20) years of experience in relevant software and IT related projects.
- Ten (10) years of experience performing as a full-time architect.
- Bachelor’s Degree in technology related field.
- Possess a high degree of technical expertise with foundational architectural principles in building Java and cloud based distributed systems.
- Expertise in application development using the following technologies:
- Java EE
- Spring boot
- Application servers (e.g. Tomcat, JBoss)
- Messaging (e.g. Active MQ, JBoss messaging)
- Database technologies (RDBMS and NoSQL DBs)
- Cloud computing (AWS experience must)
- Cloud technologies:
- Excellent knowledge of AWS Cloud Architecture.
- Knowledge of .NET and Microsoft platform is a bonus.
- Knowledge of at least one additional programming language such as Python.
- Excellent grasp of Application Security concerns and remediation techniques.
- Knowledge of cryptography and encryption technologies like SSL, SSH, etc.
- Authentication protocols like OpenID Connect, OAuth, etc.
- Familiarity with common vulnerabilities and attack vectors
- Knowledge of networking, infrastructure and storage components.
- Well-rounded technical background in current web and micro-service technologies.
- Experience working with business users in defining processes and translating those to available solutions.
- Critical thinking ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and can communicate effectively at all levels – with the team, peers and with senior management of the company.
- Comfortable in situations that are ambiguous and can juggle between multiple tasks and rapidly changing priorities.
Matson is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, AIDS/HIV status, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including, but not limited to, the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
- Address Phoenix, AZ, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 20+