About the job
Boston Medical Center (BMC) is more than a hospital. It’s a network of support and care that touches the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in need each year. It is the largest and busiest provider of trauma and emergency services in New England. Emphasizing community-based care, BMC is committed to providing consistently excellent and accessible health services to all-and is the largest safety-net hospital in New England. The hospital is also the primary teaching affiliate of the nationally ranked Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and a founding partner of Boston HealthNet – an integrated health care delivery systems that includes many community health centers. Join BMC today and help us achieve our Vision 2030 which is a long-term goal to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world.
Position: Senior Network Engineer
Schedule: Full Time
Location: This is a HYBRID position
Under the direction of the Team Lead of Network Engineering and within established hospital, clinic, and department policies and procedures, support network activities in a multi-vendor, multi-platform computer environment. Responsible for the daily technical support of the Institution-wide computer networks, and for the installation, maintenance, and tuning of network software and hardware. Provides technical assistance to the Network Architect for the installation of new technologies as well as providing next level support to Network Engineers. Consults with the Team Lead of Network Engineering on specific matters requiring clarification, interpretation, or exception to standard policies and procedures
Essential Responsibilities / Duties
- Responsible for managing the planning, coordination, configuration, installation, and management of all data and VoIP network infrastructure and related client services within the enterprise to meet business requirements
- Design data and VoIP networks; install routers, switches and wireless access points, identify solutions through constant interfacing with appropriate management levels, users, departments, and vendor organizations to ensure a cost-effective and efficient infrastructure environment is available to provide the processing power essential to department operations
- Participates in Change Management and Root Cause Analysis meetings as directed.
- Monitor and control infrastructure performance in the areas of response, throughput, and availability
- Proactively research and locate the necessary tools and processes to identify troublesome trends as they develop; analyze trends and develop a long-range plan designed to resolve problems and prevent them from recurring; maintain high service levels for the user community, and establish a method to easily compare the installation performance against established performance objectives.
- Ensure a stable performance environment for mission-critical enterprise systems
- Develop test plans (including cases for functionality, integrity, and stress testing; test matrixes; and definition of test methodologies and test strategy); be responsible for the creation of test platforms, including evaluation of test equipment and designing test networks; develop automated test suites for product regression and stress testing
- Participate in various IT projects intended to continually improve/upgrade the enterprise network infrastructure; for example, evaluate new software and hardware required to meet a business need or to make a process more cost effective
- Configure, install, and maintain necessary hardware and software for network infrastructure hardware and software to provide a suitable environment to run production applications and perform development; perform maintenance and release upgrades on a timely basis or as needed; monitor performance and availability of LAN/WAN platforms
- Communicates with departmental and business unit managers, as well as project manager and leaders, to define support initiatives and solutions
- Builds relationships with clients (positive customer relationships and friendly, helpful attitude will help to manage customer expectations)
- Interacts with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Has effective working relationships with peers in other areas of IT organization, which are essential for maintaining good public relations, facilitating communications, and soliciting useful feedback
- Has frequent interaction with development and operations people as facilitator and client problem solver; works on performance problems, upgrades, design reviews, and application setup/implementation
- Has collaborative working relationships with outside vendors, which will help to enhance service delivery capabilities
- Develops relationships with professional organizations, peer groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with technology
- Documents all required activities in Service Now.
- Provides detailed network diagrams as needed using Microsoft Visio.
- Updates databases for items such as circuit id’s, pictures and IP addressing.
- Maintain and or update network equipment images and configurations
- Participates in the development of standards of practice to include: physical layout of infrastructure wiring, networking products and protocol compliance.
- Participates in the development of disaster recovery practices for all network equipment device types.
- Maintains expert level of technical knowledge.
- Provides technical support and training to departments Network Engineers as required.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Management
- Monitor the computer network and recommends to the Management resolutions to concerns.
- May be called to work off hours, weekends and holidays to provide technical support to the Institution.
- Required to carry a pager at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline. .
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations Required
- CCNP Certification is required.
- Six to eight years of enterprise experience in infrastructure/network environments performing network engineering (hardware and software), and designing, planning, and implementing LANs and WANs using the latest technology
Knowledge And Skills
- Thorough understanding of distributed systems architecture and comprehensive knowledge of multiple technical disciplines
- Excellent technical knowledge and aptitude in the areas of networks, network topologies, Network Security, Wireless, Datacenter Engineering, PC workstations (configuration and connectivity), networked file servers, applicable software, and troubleshooting techniques Ability to solve network infrastructure issues and to manage the performance and capacity of a LAN/WAN environment
- Demonstrated experience in effectively managing medium to large projects in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to effectively adapt to rapidly changing technology and apply it to business needs
- Understanding of the enterprise business and business processes; knowledge of business unit functions and cross-group dependencies/relationships
- Ability to anticipate user requirements and identify and resolve complex problems with minimal supervision; strong customer service and communications skills
- Good judgment and analytical skills; strong follow-up and organizational skills
- Ability to conduct and prepare feasibility studies; develop network proposals, including estimates for costs, time, and resources; prepare statistical reports; complete cost/benefit analyses; and conduct business
- Ability to assess internal and external communication practices, anticipate future network requirements, and research and analyze emerging technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following technical knowledge/skills are mandatory, including from among the following:
- Data Network Hardware: Cisco routers (2800 – 7600), switches (3750 – 6500). Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Datacener switches. F5 Load balancers, Netscalers, Aruba Access Points, Palo Alto Firewalls and Cisco ASA’s.
- Protocols: TCP/IP, TACAC’s, Radius, OSPF, BGP4, SNMP, VXLAN, Multicast, Anycast, SIP and Video suites of protocols
- WAN/LAN management: Solarwinds, Netflow, Airwave, and Aruba Clearpass
Req id: 28488
- Address Quincy, MA, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10