About the job
Publicly traded on the NYSE (BLDR), Builders FirstSource is the nation’s premier supplier of building materials and services for professional home builders and remodelers. With 30,000 team members supporting approximately 565 locations in 42 states and a market presence in 85 of the top 100 Metropolitan Statistical Areas, the company has significant geographic diversity and a balanced end market exposure. As a company we are focused on getting things done right and on building a successful future, for customers, vendors and team members. Due to the complexity of the building industry, Builders FirstSource manages a variety of operations with a large selection of career opportunities throughout the country. With long-tenured team members, it is evident that we believe in promoting from within, offer a competitive benefits package and provide job satisfaction across the board. Now is the time to be part of building something truly special. If you’d like to become part of an exciting, fast-paced organization, BFS is the company for you!
The Senior Engineer, IT is responsible for designing, administering, maintaining, and supporting systems in a scalable, highly available, and resilient enterprise-grade hybrid-cloud infrastructure that includes resources in private datacenters, across multiple cloud platforms, and hosted by a managed service provider.This individual will also be expected to provide high-quality solutions and customer service that involves planning, implementation, maintenance, enhancements, support, and integration for new and existing systems.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Performs configuration, administration, and support for Linux and Unix servers, including hardware and software installations, user accounts, file system permissions, maintenance, automation, licensing, and other tasks across multiple platforms in a hybrid-cloud / MSP hosted infrastructure.
- Designs, supports, and maintains complex automation scripts for a variety of systems and applications.
- Configures, administers, and supports VMware hosts, vCenter servers, datacenter hardware, storage and storage area networks, and other related systems for a multisite on-premises environment.
- Collaborates with business partners, management, and other IT teams to assess near and long-term capacity needs, and conducts research on products, services, and standards to remain current with developments in the industry.
- Supports and administers cloud-based systems across multiple providers, including Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies, procedures, and associated training plans for administration and disaster recovery purposes.
- Interacts and negotiates with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure products, support, and services.
- Performs audits, backups and recovery, installations, upgrades, as well as monitors performance and troubleshoots complex problems.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced members of the team in a lead capacity.
- Acts as technical resource to IT staff, management, business partners, and system users.
- Provides support and quality management for escalated Service Desk tickets and collaborates with other IT team members to resolve technical issues.
- Administers and supports internal and external DNS records, Internet domain name functions, such as registration, migration, forwarding, etc., and installation and renewal of SSL certificates.
- Develops, maintains, and organizes documentation around systems, procedures, and processes critical to daily operations and systems design.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of directly related experience.
- Ability to provide technical support outside of regular business hours when necessary and participate in a rotating 24/7 on-call support schedule.
- Industry-related certifications preferred.
- Expert ability to configure, administer, and troubleshoot Linux and Unix servers (RedHat, AIX, and HPUX preferred), Apache and Tomcat webservers, file systems, email, networking, and networking protocols across multiple sites.
- Knowledge and experience with VMware virtualization, vCenter management, and associated technologies in a multi-host, multi-datacenter environment.
- Knowledge and experience with enterprise computing technologies (FTP, SSH, VDI, PKI, NFS, DNS, DHCP, etc.).
- Experience configuring, administering, and supporting datacenter hardware, including physical hosts, shared storage platforms, storage access networks, UPS systems, management and monitoring tools, etc.
- Experience administering and supporting DNS records, Internet domain names, and SSL certificates.
- Knowledge and experience supporting cloud-based systems, infrastructure, and services in Microsoft Azure and / or Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Knowledge and experience supporting an environment that includes Windows systems and associated technologies, such as Active Directory / Azure AD, GPOs, user account access, file system permissions, licensing, etc.
- Practical script writing using any of the following: PowerShell, batch files, bash, cron, Korn, Perl, python, yaml, etc.
- Expert analytical and problem-solving skills for troubleshooting performance and technical issues.
- Exceptional customer service persona with the capacity to interact with different individuals and teams across the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with the ability to create and maintain useful documentation of technical systems and procedures.
- Ability to articulate ideas and concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to demonstrate initiative for learning new technologies and skills.
- Functional understanding of computer systems, networking protocols, operating systems, cybersecurity practices, and Microsoft Office 365 applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain highly effective working relationships.
- Ability to work productively under minimal supervision.
- Understanding of cloud computing platforms and practices for any of the following considered a plus : Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Terraform, RedHat Openshift, Docker / Kubernetes, containerization, IaaS, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is in an office setting and generally sedentary with physical effort associated with using a computer but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- May be required to occasionally lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional travel may be required.
In addition to the base wage listed, this position is also eligible to earn an annual bonus subject to changes in plan design and documents and in accordance with applicable law. Eligibility and the amount of the bonus varies based on overall company success, thresholds met and other terms and conditions of the Company’s active bonus policy for the respective year.
Full-Time Team Members are eligible for company benefits, including
- Three Medical plan options
- Dental & Vision
- Critical Care
- Accident & Hospital insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Health & Dependent Care
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Vacation & Sick Time
- Paid company holidays
- Company Paid Life & AD&D
- Supplemental Life
- Short & Long Term Disability
- Paid Parental Leave
- Team Member Assistance Program
All benefits are subject to change pursuant to state and federal guidelines.
Builders FirstSource is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Builders FirstSource, please call (214) 765-3990 or email: ADA.Accommodation@bldr.com . Please do not send resumes to this email address – it is intended only to be used to request an accommodation in submitting an application for a job opening.
EEO THE LAW – English/Spanish
EEO IS THE LAW – SUPPLEMENT – English/Spanish
Pay Transparency Provision – English/Spanish
- Address Dallas, TX, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10