Feel Good About Doing Good
The Knights of Columbus is a fraternal benefit society that provides financial security through top-quality life insurance, long-term care insurance, disability income insurance, and annuity products to members and their families while turning premiums into global charitable impact.
Charity is at the heart of our work—more than $1.55 billion given in the last decade—and that’s made possible by our talented and dedicated employees and members.
Share Your Talent. Live Your Purpose.
We are a growing and purpose-driven community of professionals. Join us to discover how you can meet your goals and ours!
Senior Database Infrastructure Engineers provides engineering services and operational support associated with KofC’s Database platforms across the enterprise. Responsible for building, deploying, documenting, and maintaining functional, optimized, secure and highly recoverable Database Management Systems in all environments.
- Recommends, installs, configures, monitors, and maintains Database Management Systems both on premises and in the cloud
- Enforces Data Governance Policies including database transaction and security audits
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices
- Provides Database Administration services in support of information technology and business project activities, often serving as members of a project team
- Troubleshoot, manage, and resolve incident, problem, service request and change management assignments associated with Database Management systems across the enterprise
- On-call and/or afterhours work as required
- Design Database Backup solutions which are highly recoverable for all Databases across the enterprise. Frequently requires engagement with internal KofC departments, external partners and/or vendors
- Monitors Database performance and responds to issues for all supported Database Management Systems
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for all supported Database Management Systems
- Analyze and review proposed Database Management Systems based on industry experience, research, vendor interaction, proof of concepts, labs, and compliance.
- Install, setup and configure Database Management Systems in support of information technology and business project activities, serving as a member of a project team
- Upgrade, maintain, and administer Database Management Systems across all platforms including initial installations, patches, and hotfixes
- Enforce Data Governance Policies for all Database Management Systems across the enterprise
- Work with application development staff to develop database coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures and provide recommendations for Database performance tuning
- Accountable for management and resolution of incident, problem, service request and change management assignments for all supported Database Management Systems
- Provides support & services (evaluate, diagnose & resolve) to other internal ITS departments for diagnosing Database performance issues and recommending solutions
- Accountable for the backup and recoverability of all Databases across the enterprise
- Responsible for monitoring Database performance and responding to issues for all supported Database Management Systems
- Responsible for monitoring, optimizing, and allocating physical data storage for all supported Database Management Systems
- Participates in disaster recovery & business continuity testing for all Database platforms
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-starter with good work ethic and attitude
- Ability to research, recommend, and develop cost-effective solutions
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Sound judgment in decision making
- Requires application of specific Database Management Systems related technical skills and expertise
- Formulates and presents recommendations for resolving complex issues and problems to Manager
- Participates in the identification and evaluation of alternative design options and tradeoffs
- Reviews, verifies and improves designs against specifications.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Keen attention to detail
- Operating Systems: Windows OS, Linux\Unix, Z\OS (Mainframe)
- Database Management Systems: SQL Server on Premise, SQL Server Azure, DB2 LUW (Windows and Linux), DB2 on z\OS, Snowflake
- Database Management tools and applications: Power BI, SSMS, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS (SQL Server), Data Vault, SQL and T-SQL, (SQL Server and DB2), stored procedures, windows scripting, Cron scheduling and VI Editor (Linux), SPF Editor and JCL (Mainframe), BMC Mainview, some knowledge of COBOL.
- Database Management scripting: in depth knowledge of SQL and T-SQL, Stored Procedures in a relational Database environment, Windows and Linux scripting.
- Network connectivity Protocols & Services: Including but not limited to ODBC, JDBC, FTP
- Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- BS or BA in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or equivalent combination of experience and training
- 7 to 10+ years of experience in the administration of Database Management Systems or equivalent combination of training and experience
- ITIL IV certified
Our people-first mission-based culture supports a balanced life and health and financial wellbeing.
Employee benefits include:
Time Away – competitive holiday and flexible paid-time-off.
Professional Development – certifications, designations, and tuition reimbursement.
Financial Wellbeing – a 401K retirement savings plan with matching and company contributions.
Health and Wellness – flexible health and insurance options, including dental and vision, and a pre-tax Health Savings Account with employer contributions, health club membership reimbursement, and an Employee Assistance Program.
- Salary Offer $120000.00/yr - $140000.00/yr
- Address One Columbus Plaza New Haven, CT, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10