Requisition ID: 270636
- Relocation Authorized: National – Family
- Telework Type: Part-Time Telework
- Work Location: Various Permanent Bechtel Office Locations
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s largest infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safe, cleaner place. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. We serve the Infrastructure, Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
The Senior Counsel – Cybersecurity will serve as a legal subject matter expert on all cyber security and information security matters, including complex issues relating to an enterprise cybersecurity program. This position requires a highly skilled attorney with in-depth knowledge of and experience with matters involving cybersecurity and information security. The legal work associated with the position is typically complex and difficult – the issues to be addressed are often unique and require a high order of original and creative legal analysis for resolution. As the sole cybersecurity attorney across a global enterprise, the demands on the attorney’s time may be significant.
The Senior Counsel will provide legal advice to and support other attorneys, as well as internal clients, including Bechtel’s global functional groups and Bechtel’s Global Business Units (GBUs). Key responsibilities include:
- Working closely with Bechtel’s Global Security Operations and Engineering (GSOE) group to identify, assess and respond to cyber threats. This includes close working with Bechtel’s Security Operations Center and Cyber Incident Response Team.
- Ensuring the Bechtel enterprise has robust cyber incident preparedness, including the ability to effectively contain, respond, remediate cybersecurity incidents, as well as complying with all third party and legal obligations.
- Advising on issues related to the Bechtel enterprise moving to a data-centric, “digitalization” approach to project execution involving the creation, management, control and delivery of information and contract “deliverables” in the medium of data (rather than documents).
- Advising on emerging cyber/information security risks, including those associated with technology developments such as AI.
- Reviewing and advising on draft scope documents for the potential provision of cybersecurity services as an additional offering to customers across industries served by Bechtel’s GBUs and drafting and negotiating the contract terms for the provision of such services.
- Supporting internal procurement teams with drafting, reviewing, and negotiating enterprise technology agreements, including SaaS, license agreements, services agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Drafting, revising, and maintaining clear and concise policies, procedures, and management instructions in the attorney’s areas of expertise, as well as preparing project-specific information security workplans. Providing counsel and training to internal clients on complying with the same.
- Providing training on legal issues and best practices surrounding cyber and information security best practices to a broad range of audiences ranging from other legal professionals to procurement and security analysts.
- Providing leadership and counsel to the senior management and information security teams on legal considerations in responding to cybersecurity events, including those regarding regulatory, contractual, and other legal compliance issues as needed.
- Assisting GBU counsel and procurement teams with drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contractual provisions relating to information security in contracts with customers, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Working closely with Information Security managers in the Information Systems & Technology Function in responding to cyber security events including providing leadership on relevant legal issues.
Qualifications and Skills
- Must have a Juris Doctor Degree and substantial work experience involving management of cyber security issues.
- Must hold a current license to practice law in the United States.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A high degree of business acumen and a strategic approach.
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels within the company.
- Must be prepared to travel on an as-needed basis.
- Must be willing to work out of our Reston or Houston office.
- Prior substantive experience within the engineering and construction industry
- Active security clearance/s would be advantageous
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
In accordance with Bechtel’s duty to provide and maintain a safe workplace for our employees and to safeguard the health of our families, customers, and visitors, we have adopted mandatory COVID-19 safety protocols for each work location, which may include a vaccination or testing requirement. Please speak with your Bechtel recruiter to determine which protocols apply to the work location for the job you are seeking.
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10