Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
You know what your ideal career looks like: a competitive salary, freedom to live your life as you like, and recognition for your accomplishments—all in an inclusive and diverse people-first environment. Our success is driven by a supported, thriving team; this is why Ciena upholds these benefits for all our employees. Ciena empowers you with flexible paid time off, reimbursed and in-house development resources, support for mental and physical well-being, and assets you may need to attain your goals both at and away from work.
How You Will Contribute:
The Routing and Switching R&D Operations teams requires an IT Infrastructure lead to maintain the Engineering team’s infrastructure across multiple Ciena sites. Responsibilities include:
- identifying compute resource requirements
- evaluating new and alternative technologies
- assessing budget requirements
- implementing agreed plans
In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- ongoing maintenance of the existing and updated lab infrastructure
- outage prevention and response/resolution
- on-going planning
- communications with internal customers
Technical experience and personal skills required:
- Provide on-going maintenance of the existing lab infrastructure and compute environment as well as on-going infrastructure additions.
- Collaborate with Engineers, Verification staff, Release Primes and Managers to understand tools and compute needs, timelines, and key milestones and support accordingly.
- Assist with long range planning and infrastructure for the Engineering team’s lab space, power, cooling and network operations.
- Assist with business continuity and disaster recovery initiatives for geographic redundancy of the development infrastructure and processes.
- Assist with security measures in collaboration with Corporate IT.
- Assist main Architect in collaborating with Corporate IT and Facilities organizations to define maintenance windows with limited disruption to the Engineering team, and ensure maintenance plans do not result in outages.
- Promptly respond to and address any unplanned lab outages.
- Support and troubleshooting for network infra and VM infra (KVM, VMWare)
- Clear, concise communications to internal customers and management.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Curiosity – Exploration and research is driven by insatiable curiosity.
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering thoughtful, relevant and actionable insights.
- Agility – you are readily able to make key decisions and manage competing and ever-changing account priorities.
- Communication expertise – the ability to influence and tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and consensus.
- An ability to go ‘up and down the ladder’ – capable of seeing the big picture, but also understanding the importance of details and analysis.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Relationship builder – with an ability to influence, you’re able to quickly develop trusted connections and influence outcomes. Become a “trusted advisor” for the team, with our account executives and most importantly key external customers and researchers.
- A commitment to innovation – you keep ahead of the market and competitive developments and are always keen to extrapolate current technologies into the future.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline, or equivalent experience
- 10-15 years of relevant work experience
- Expert knowledge of IT technologies, DevOps, Cloud, Storage, Licensing, Tools
- Ability to understand and translate requirements for compute environments into implementable plans, and execute on plans on budget
- Previous experience in supporting an engineering/technology lab
- Knowledge of networking routers, switches, and optical systems
- Knowledge of applications such as JIRA, CONFLUENCE, Artifactory, Bitbucket, GitHub, PRISM, etc
- Network troubleshooting skills
- Competency in server management and maintenance
- Linux admin
- Detail-oriented, Strong team player
- Ability to work across different functional teams and geographies
Salary range for California
96,100 – 124,800 – 153,500
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.
- Salary Offer 96,100 - 124,800 - 153,500
- Address San Jose, CA, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20