The Threat Detection Team at BNY Mellon develops and maintains the signals, tools, and infrastructure required to perform deep analysis of threats on our corporate environment. This role will be responsible for identifying and constantly evolving techniques to detect sophisticated attacks. As part of this team, you will be building advanced and novel detection mechanisms for attacker techniques tactics and procedures, developing systems to automate remediation, conducting threat hunting, and performing network and systems forensics, as well as malware and indicator analysis.
We are seeking a Threat Detection Engineer to be part of a high performance Cyber Security Analytics team within the Information Security Division of BNY Mellon. The Cyber Security Analytics team is responsible for providing threat detection, analytics and visualization to the Information Security and other functional groups within BNY Mellon with goal of detecting and preventing adversarial attacks.
- Responsible for identifying Threat Detection Use cases focused on external threats and implementing the techniques to surface these threats.
- Collaborate with security operations teams such as SOC, Incident Response, Adversary Hunt to prioritize content development and ensure adoption of detection content.
- Build analytics and complex correlation searches using Splunk Enterprise Security that can be applied to the discovery and tracking of advanced adversaries
- Look for innovation and creativity in technology design
- Deliver quality code within controlled environments using formal release management and continuous integration structures
- Keep up to date with current trends, tactics, and vulnerabilities in the security space
- Demonstrates knowledge of financial services and security domain
- Adapt to a large and diverse program portfolio across multiple locations with a range of integration and analytics technologies
- Consults with other IT areas and the businesses and provides professional support for major components of the company‘s information security infrastructure. Contributes to the development and implementation of security architecture, standards, procedures and guidelines for multiple platforms. Consults with the business and operational infrastructure personnel regarding new and existing technologies. Recommends new security tools to management and reports and provides guidance and expertise in their implementation. Reviews and analyzes complex data and information to provide insights, conclusions and actionable recommendations provides direction and guidance on reports and analyses and ensures recommendations are aligned with customer/business needs and capabilities. Ensures that all significant security concerns are addressed. Recommends course of action to mitigate risk and ensures that appropriate standards are established and published. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience required, advanced degree preferred
- 5-8 years of experience in information security or related technology experience required
- Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus
- Solid understanding of MITRE ATTACK, NIST, Lockheed Martin CKC and/or similar threat frameworks is strongly preferred.
- Intermediate to Expert level proficiency in at least 3 of the following areas: Operating systems concepts (*nix, Windows), networking concepts (proxies, firewalls, NAC, etc), endpoint detection response/EDR (Tanium, Crowdstrike Falcon, SentinelOne etc), anti-virus/malware detection tools (SEP), privilege access management tools, threat intelligence platform (Anomali Threatstream, ThreatConnect etc), Network Detection Response tools (IronNet, DarkTrace, Awake etc) is required.
- Intermediate to Expert level proficiency in programming/scripting using technologies like shell, sed/awk, PERL, python, java, powershell.
- Intermediate to Expert level of proficiency in Splunk Search Processing Language (SPL) to analyze and create correlation rules for threat detection
- Ability to create SPLs that are optimized to search terabytes of data across multiple indexes
- Familiarity with Splunk Common Information Model (CIM) for threat detection
- Familiarity with SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation & Response) products such as Phantom, Demisto is a plus.
- Familiarity with UEBA(User Entity Behavior Analytics) products such as Exabeam, SNYPR is a plus.
- Familiarity with attack simulation tools (Verodin, attackIQ, Safebreach etc) is a plus.
- Experience in working with cross functional teams to collaborate and socialize threat detection techniques and results eg: purple team exercise
- Comfortable working with geographically dispersed team
- Comfortable with a range of project and software development methodologies – experience with agile scrum preferable
- Ability to problem solve and performance tune in a high paced development environment
- Certifications such as CISSP, GREM, GIAC, SANS, CEH is a plus.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. Our ambition is to build the best global team – one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve – and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.
- Address New York, NY, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 5-10