When you join Verizon
Verizon is a leading provider of technology, communications, information and entertainment products, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our ambition and united in our shared purpose to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing…
The Network Security Engineer will be primarily responsible for overseeing the log management and Nessus vulnerability scanning, but also understand the network’s make-up in order to better protect it. As a Principal Security Engineer you will lead medium sized projects, guiding the team through the requirements to successfully implement the necessary security requirements to meet Verizon and/or its contractual needs.
- Responsible for the implementation and oversight of the department’s security tool support across multiple complex and diverse networks.
- Work with customers, project managers, and network engineering teams to gather requirements that are used to design and deliver technical solutions.
- Performs technical improvements within the managed services tools to deliver world class customer service.
- Creation and maintenance of documentation to include Use Cases, SOPs, MOPs as well as incident management reports.
- Author security related policies. Research and formulate templates, rules, alerts, dashboards and business flows.
- Mentor other SOC Engineers and provide training to less experienced security engineers primarily regarding, but not limited to, the ArcSight and Nessus platforms.
- Manage multiple medium sized projects on a daily basis.
- Interact with other staff and customers effectively, in person, writing, VTC and/or by phone.
- Install, configure, and technically administer ArcSight and Nessus product components.
- Use the ArcSight SIEM for real-time alerting into our existing Network Management System.
- Develop Use Cases on the ArcSight platforms that address the latest security scenarios, threats, and regulatory compliance issues.
- Quickly identify sources of security breaches and move them towards containment.
- Conduct live analysis on networks and across multiple platforms.
- Utilize compliance and vulnerability assessment tools like Nessus to analyze products for configuration and patch vulnerabilities.
- Work closely with other departments to mitigate security events by providing the needed analysis and leadership, to bolster Verizon’s ability to identify intrusion detection/mitigation
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience with Network Security, Security Analysis and/or Incident Response.
- Ability to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
- Willingness to travel up to 25 percent as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Eight or more years of hands-on experience in Network Security, Security Analysis and/or Incident Response.
- Experience using ArcSight ESM and/or Nessus vulnerability scanners.
- In-Depth knowledge of Linux
- Hands on experience in installing, deploying, documenting, and troubleshooting network perimeter security technologies such as firewalls, intrusion prevention/detection (IDS/IPS), security sensors.
- Knowledge of security compliance policy, Risk Management frameworks and SLA’s.
- Knowledge of Cyber Security and Information Protection and Privacy.
- Strong networking background combined with strong security operations.
- Ability to automate tasks through the use of scripting tools in multiple languages such as Perl, Java and Python.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Security related certifications such as CISSP, SSCP, CCFP and/or CEH or equivalent.
- Other relevant certifications such as CCNP, CCNA and/or SANS.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
- Address Ashburn, VA, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Academic Degree Bachelors