About the job
Valero Energy, a refining company, relies on stable integrated solutions that manages downstream (gasolines and distillates) truck distribution and its associated computer systems and/or network technologies. The solutions are sometimes termed Terminal Load Systems. These technologies need to be stable and reliable and are composed of a complex infrastructure made up of servers, network equipment, communication methods, field devices, and software applications. Among other things, these applications require skilled support personnel to maintain the stability of the system.
The role of the Load System Specialist requires a good understanding of the configuration, installation, and maintenance of the Terminal Load System. Included in the Load System are Network Devices, Terminal Automation System (TAS), Distributed Control System (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Graphical User Interface (GUI), flow computers (FCs), Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), motor contolers, batch presets, Remote Control Units (RCUs), card readers, metering, temperature, pressure, and level instruments, injection blocks, printers, and and the associated reporting.
The Specialist functions as part of the team in the installation and configuration of the Terminal Load System software and hardware. The skill sets are generally aligned with the TAS and the associated hardward rather than the DCSs, PLCs, and/or GUIs. In addition, the Specialist will participate in installing updates and/or patches to the TAS operating system (OS), and the associated third-party applications.
The Specialist requires the ability to do technical analysis on delivered software and/or hardware solutions for stability and functionality. The individual understands communication issues by using various diagnostic tools in support of efficient, stable systems and network operations.
The Specialist is required to collaborate with the infrastructure teams on the support of the following:
- Physical WAN/LAN Network
- Virtual servers environment
- Server/client applications and software
- Participates in communication planning between the project/support team and operations.
- Participates in planning and scheduling work for the team.
- Participates in ensuring safe work conditions.
- Participates in delivering technical direction for FCMs, DCS, and/or PLC programming via the Cause & Effect and Controls Narrative.
- Participates in keeping the OS and third party software applications protected against viruses and is patched in an appropriate timeframe.
- Participates in the configuration, testing and implementation of the following:
- Load System and the associated supporting software.
- Graphical user interfaces (GUIs) and the associated supervisory control.
- Load System communication front end processes, i.e., the polling engine.
- Database design and configuration.
- Presets and related Flow Control Modules (FCMs).
- PLC solution.
- Participates in the governance activities with-in the Load System envrionment.
- Participates in the build out of the following:
- Operations Manual for the Load System environment.
- Training Manual for the Load System environment.
- Testing Manuals for the Load System installs to ensure proper testing before start-ups.
This position is salaried exempt status, which means you are not eligible for overtime pay.
Jan 26, 2022, 3:07:10 PM
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor’s or higher level degree preferred.
- 3+ years of field experience in the following area(s) preferred:
- Load System Software.
- Load System Presets.
- Instrumentation such as pressure, temperature, flow, and level.
- Visual Basic, C, or Pascal programming languages.
- Network equipment such as routers and switches.
- Microsoft Office or RedHAT products, relational databases, Windows, and/or direct computing support activities including knowledge of equipment, and application software .
All successful candidates must be eligible to obtain a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential). It is Valero’s policy that employees must wear this card at all times while working at the refinery. Please review eligibility criteria at https://www.tsa.gov/for-industry/twic .
Position level and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Valero’s employees are the heart of its success, and there is a reason why the company is an employer of choice in the fuels manufacturing and marketing industry. It’s not just the excellent benefits package, or the opportunities for personal growth, it’s also the caring and committed culture of the organization that makes everyone feel like they’re truly part of a team. For more information, visit Valero.com.
Valero is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected status including sexual orientation, gender identity, Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and protected Veterans.
- Salary Offer $69K/yr - $170K/yr
- Address San Antonio, TX, USA
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5