About the job
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to Information or Computer Science, plus three (3) years of experience in a related field, including two (2) years of leadership or supervisory experience.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
Licenses And Certifications Required
Notes to Applicants
The Digital Services team is looking for a highly motivated, and self-driven Information Technology Manager to lead a team that uses human-centered research, data, and design to reimagine and build innovative solutions that are secure, equitable and accessible for the residents of Austin.
Responsibilities include developing, coaching, mentoring, and managing a team for effectiveness and performance. This position is also responsible for preparing the operational and program/project budgets, managing contracts and resources.
About The Department
The City of Austin Communication and Technology Management ( CTM ) Department provides and empowers the City’s business partners and Austin’s residents, visitors and businesses with sustained, reliable, and efficient technology services, infrastructure, and telecommunications. By leveraging state-of-the-art tools, innovative methods, and strategic partnerships, we are at the center of shaping the City of Austin’s IT strategy.
In completing your job application, be sure to provide a COMPLETE employment history including past job titles, employment dates and a detailed summary of your job duties, functions, responsibilities, and skills/abilities. A detailed and complete job application is required to help us determine base pay in the event you are selected for this position.
NOTE : A cover letter and/or resume will NOT be accepted or used to substitute for an incomplete job application. Once a position is closed, no additional applications or application changes will be accepted.
All interviews are being conducted virtually via Microsoft Teams.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Post Interview Verification: If you are selected as the top candidate for a position, we will be contacting your current and former employers, as well as the references listed in your application. Please do your best to ensure that the contact information on the application is accurate. Top candidates will also be required to provide proof of education from an accredited organization, copies of any professional licenses or certificates listed on the minimum or preferred qualifications and a copy of your DD-214 if claiming veteran’s preference.
Working with the City of Austin provides a number of benefits, including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click here for more information.
$47.75 – $62.07
Standard business hours. Position may require hours outside standard hours and on call as required.
Job Close Date 01/15/2024 Type of Posting External Department Communications & Tech Mgmt Regular/Temporary Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable Category Professional Location 6800 Burleson Rd., Bergstrom Tech Center, Austin, TX Preferred Qualifications
- Expertise building and managing enterprise IT programs and teams, establishing best practices and governance
- Strong communication skills with experience interacting with all levels of staff and technical aptitudes, including executives making strategic IT decisions.
- Experience in preparing and managing budgets, development of RFPs, SOWs, and contract and vendor management.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Plans, organizes, schedules, and coordinates the work supporting large-scale corporate and enterprise-level information systems. Provides advanced technical leadership on integrating complex existing or new information system technologies. Monitors and evaluates staff performance to accomplish tasks and established objectives, and ensures compliance with City of Austin personnel, security, and department procedures. Prepares operating budgets, reviews ongoing expenditures to ensure adherence to budgets, and coordinates recurrent program/project budgets and resource forecasts. Manages the coordination of complex projects with other City departments, project teams, and agencies using industry best practices to gain maximum value from combined systems. Researches complex commercial products, technology solutions, and participates in the development of vendor contracts, performs vendor management and contract management duties, and prepares and evaluates Requests for Proposal (RFPs). Prepares, reviews, and approves documentation for procurement of IT systems. May exercise oversight of departmental IT purchases. Develops and prepares management and productivity reports, studies, and analyses. Develops training programs and guides, and trains staff on work procedures and operating instructions. Ensures disaster recovery is in place for critical systems. Improves operations, decreases turnaround times, and streamlines work processes to provide quality customer service.
Responsibilities- Supervision And/or Leadership Exercised
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of management and supervisory principles and practices.
- Knowledge of current IT systems and data systems technology, security, operations, and practices.
- Knowledge of budget processes.
- Knowledge of project and resource management.
- Skill in organizing and assigning work effectively and efficiently.
- Skill in understanding the organization and operation of the City and departments, as necessary.
- Skill in operating computers and related software applications.
- Skill in conducting hardware and software evaluations, performing selection, and acquisition functions.
- Skill in analyzing and solving complex problems for the enterprise department.
- Ability to develop, implement, and administer a budget.
- Ability to prepare budget requests and monitor expenditures for budgetary compliance.
- Ability to read and interpret standard accounting and financial reports.
- Ability to conduct research and analyze and interpret research findings.
- Ability to compile data and prepare narrative and statistical correspondence, reports, and presentations.
- Ability to train, assign, and direct work activities.
- Ability to understand complex program structures and how they impact enterprise departments and the City.
- Ability in handling and resolving conflict and uncertain situations.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner to effectively convey complex and detailed information, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to represent management and present program information.
- Ability to maintain effective and professional relationships.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*). * This position requires a criminal background investigation (CBI). By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) to be hired. * Describe your experience building and managing enterprise IT programs and teams, establishing best practices and governance.
- The minimum qualifications for the position are graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to Information or Computer Science, plus three (3) years of experience in a related field, including two (2) years of leadership or supervisory experience. Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years. Do you meet each the minimum qualifications?
- I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS-Criminal Background Investigation).
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience interacting with all levels of staff and technical aptitudes, including executives making strategic IT decisions.
(Open Ended Question)
- Describe your experience in preparing and managing budgets, development of RFPs, SOWs, and contract and vendor management.
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Address Austin, TX, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Manager
- Total Years Experience 5-10