Purpose of Job
We are seeking a talented Info Security Engineer, Lead for our San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX, Phoenix, AZ, or CO Springs, CO facilities. The selected applicant may also work 100% remote from home.
USAA values a culture that is highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type helps employees gain the best of both worlds – collaborating in-person in the office and working from home when needed to achieve focused results. The actual days’ onsite are resolved between each employee and the employee’s manager.
USAA’s Identity and Access Management (IAM) team is seeking a talented Lead level InfoSec – IAM Process Engineer (Remote Optional). This person will be responsible for leading and owning processes across IAM Workforce operations and lead process improvement efforts. Additionally, this person will be engaged in Process, Risk & Control (PRC) and Risk & Control Self-Assessments (RCSA) exercises that includes managing desktop procedure documentation, issue management, and ensuring controls are operating effectively with appropriate control test plans. They will engage with Internal Audit and second/third lines of defense from Risk and Compliance, supporting external audit exams where needed, and partnering with other IAM Process Engineers to provide secure, compliant, and sustainable IAM account lifecycle and entitlement management processes.
This job profile is designated as a Sensitive Position. Sensitive Positions are those positions in which individuals have the authority and ability to conduct in-scope activities (movement of USAA or Member funds) as defined within the Enterprise Sensitive Positions Mandatory Time-Away Compliance Policy. Employees in Sensitive Positions are required to fulfill a Mandatory Time-Away (MTA) requirement of 10 consecutive business days each calendar year.
Conducts software and systems engineering to develop new capabilities, ensuring Information Security is integrated across the enterprise. Conducts comprehensive technology research to evaluate potential vulnerabilities in Enterprise systems. Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and ensures risks associated with business activities are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled. Installs, configures, troubleshoots, and maintains hardware and software.
USAA knows what it means to serve. We facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military members and their families. This singular mission requires a dedication to innovative thinking at every level.
About USAA IT
Our most meaningful qualification isn’t technical, it’s human. Here, we don’t just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million members who rely on us every day.
We’re proud of USAA’s strong history — and we’re even more passionate about our future. That’s why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And why we’re continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team. With us, you’ll find exciting challenges that inspire you to continue learning and growing.
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem from business activities and the job role.
- Ensure risks associated are effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for business activities.
- Influences and leads team efforts across the Information Security department and enterprise as a subject matter expert in their domain.
- Researches and analyzes the latest capabilities of specific Information Security (e.g. Cloud services, encryption, PKI etc.) and IT technologies (e.g. operating systems, networks, storage, virtualization etc.).
- Considered an expert in the USAA implementations of these technologies.
- Reviews, interprets, and resolves disputes for Information Security baselines for specific technologies (e.g. operating systems, databases).
- Leads the operations and maintenance for hardware and software of Information Security solutions and technologies (e.g. firewalls, intrusion prevention (IPS), web application firewalls (WAF), web proxies).
- Initiates vendor roadmap discussions and feature requests.
- Consults with Architects to plan future technical solutions.
- Monitors and troubleshoots highly complex systems, tools and/or networking solutions.
- Performs investigative research, analysis and troubleshooting to identify, resolve, and report highly complex security issues.
- Collaborates with Security Analysts to tune and enhance Information Security solutions and technologies to keep up with the latest threats.
- Guides the development of code/scripts/automation written to detect or prevent new threats that do not have commercial solutions available yet or to automate Information Security processes to increase efficiencies.
- Designs and develops new tools/technologies as related to Information Security and shares them with the community.
- Drives and directs quality work efforts.
- Serves as the primary resource for cross-functional team members on escalated issues of a unique nature.
- Maintains expert level knowledge of USAA Information Security standards as well as industry information security best practices, frameworks, laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 8 years of related experience in Information Security, Cybersecurity, Identity and Access Management (IAM) and/or Information Technology with a security focus to include accountability for complex tasks and/or projects.
- 6 years of related experience in AppSec, Cloud, Firewall, Web Proxies, Web Application Firewall, Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS/IDS), Mainframe, Windows, Linux, Apple, Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), Identity and Access Management engineering and/or Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response (SOAR) solutions.
- Expert level of business acumen in the areas of business operations, risk management, industry practices and emerging trends.
- Advanced troubleshooting skills. (Packet analyzer a plus)
- Programming or scripting experience (Python or PowerShell preferred).
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience in developing and driving alignment of process to overall strategy and vision
- Possesses skilled knowledge of IAM operations and is able to lead management of processes or capabilities to improve performance
- Hands on experience with Process Mapping and/or Modeling and creating/validating process documentation using tools such as Vizio, iGraphx or Aris
- Experience in managing risk & controls and background with issue management tools (eg. MetricStream, RSA Archer or ServiceNow GRC)
- Business process execution/knowledge/experience, consulting, and/or process engineering/optimization
- Experience with compliance frameworks and industry standards such as NIST 800-53, ISO 27001, CSA, CCM or FFIEC
- Relevant security and/or process certifications (eg. Security +, CRISC, Six Sigma, CISSP)
- Experience with any of the following: User Provisioning, Role Based Access Control (RBAC)/Attribute Based Access Control (ABAC), Privileged access management (PAM), Active Directory/Mainframe/Database platform security, Identity Access Management (IAM) controls/asset onboarding, recertification
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
USAA has an effective method for assessing market data and establishing ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the salary range based on your experience and market position. The salary range for this skill is: $117,600.00 – 211,700.00.
Employees may be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of Directors.
Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual basis for applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core hours.
At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional wellness. These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education assists employees with their professional goals.
Please click on the link below for more details.
Relocation assistance is Not Available for this position.
Job ID R0073636
- Salary Offer $117,600.00/yr - $211,700.00/yr
- Address San Antonio, TX, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20