Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont (www.newmont.com) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
Data Engineer- Asset Management
Job Grade: 106
Job Location: The location for this position is flexible. Candidates in proximity to our corporate headquarters in Denver or in proximity to any of our regional offices (Miami, Vancouver, Perth) are encouraged to apply
About this role
What will you be responsible for?
- We develop and execute a vision for the delivery of information and analytics solutions to key partners.
- We execute the business vision through the design and oversight of an enterprise-wide data platform; the development, deployment, and adoption of data integration and reporting tools; and the delivery of data and analytical solutions to key partners that enable business processes.
- We lead local and offshore developers and analysts and oversee requirements definition as they relate to information integration, analysis, access and distribution
- We deliver solutions that meet or exceed these expectations and contribute to setting technology strategy and prioritize technology projects.
- We build competitive advantages through the strategic use of data mining proactively drive creative, cost-effective, strategic enabling processes and system-enabled solutions.
In this role you will
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
Oversee and Lead Data and Sophisticated Analytic Solutions
- We supervise the execution and work product of third-party technical contractors in their working with application owners to effectively design and deliver their technology solutions and in determining requirements and associated costs for each system including the advisement of potential technology and process improvement as a part of continuous improvement accountabilities.
- In conjunction with Data & Analytics Committee Leadership Committee, we strategize, plan, prioritize, schedule and handle the execution and development of appropriate equipment and service provider resources to implement the systems in scope of responsibility within the parameters of security, data integrity, programming logic integrity, administration, and reporting policies.
- We supervise, advise, and authorize the creation, design, development, and implementation/delivery of comprehensive system testing plans and communicate the impact of system changes to the Application Owner and other key partners.
- We oversee all system deployments to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of Technology resources in addition the proactive management of system enhancement or deployment projects and the execution of changes to system technology using Agile practices
- We facilitate brainstorming and idea gathering sessions to identify potential process changes and their impact on business results. Assist business process owners in understanding correlations between components of their process and results. Create complex data integrations to support analytical and statistical models to test hypotheses and proposed changes or model future outcomes.
- We assist data specialists and visualization engineers in building data visualizations of business processes and business outcomes/KPIs.
Collaborate with regions and functions
- We collaborate with business functions and regions to identify opportunities to use data and sophisticated analytics techniques to improve business results. Elicit business goals from business owners and identify use cases for sophisticated data analysis. Develop recommendations and action plans including data standards, process flows, application architecture roadmaps, technical considerations, program recommendations and costs associated with various options.
- We collaborate with other D&A team members in definition of data and analytics strategy, use cases, principles, policies, tools and design and ensure solutions adhere to established and agreed upon policies.
Ensure quality reviews
- In partnership with the Quality Delivery Manager, we protect the integrity and security of the system and associated data according to the criteria established with the application owner.
- We ensure application/system details are present in all external third-party support systems inclusive of all documented third-party systems of record for said purpose.
- To ensure continuous improvement, we provide analyzed project and enhancement key performance and implementation data to partners.
- We document all delivered solutions for transition to IT Operations support.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills & experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor’s Degree in IT or related field.
- MBA studies or Postgraduate are preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the computer information field, specifically in data warehouse architecture, data engineering, data integration, transformation and analysis, design and solution delivery.
- Minimum of 10 years of large-scale applications development with emphasis on information and data management/architectures
- 7+ years of data integration solution design and delivery through SQL and Python or similar toolsets/methods
- 7+ years data warehouse implementation on large scale data platforms, preferably cloud based (Google Big Query, AWS Redshift, etc.)
- Experience with data science, data visualization and data analysis solutions
- Strong process and solution integration experience.
- Experience working with and leading onshore and offshore third-party service provider(s) required.
- Validated experience in working with a large organization that is internationally dispersed.
- Mining, industry experience, specifically with Mobile and Fixed Plant Asset Management is helpful.
- Experience with SAP Enterprise Resource Planning, Mining Processes and related data
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative thinking and problem solving, including logical and structured decision making.
- Facilitation and consulting skills.
- Business writing and oral communication skills.
- Customer engagement and conflict resolution skills.
- Continuous improvement mentality.
- Sophisticated analytical, statistical modeling and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work productively in a mixed onshore / offshore team.
- Ability to lead third-party vendors.
- Ability to lead outsourced managed services resources
- Project management experience desirable, but not required
Working conditions & location
Where you will be located!
- The location for this position is flexible. Candidates in proximity to our corporate headquarters in Denver or in proximity to any of our regional offices (Miami, Vancouver, Perth) are encouraged to apply.
- Willingness to put in extra hours as projects and priorities require.
- Flexible hours to accommodate global meeting times.
- Position may be required to travel to and assist other domestic and international sites.
The salary range offered for this role is $127,710- 160,000. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Nearest Major Market: Denver
- Salary Offer $127,710- 160,000
- Address Denver, CO, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20