About the job
The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) at the Argonne National Laboratory seeks a motivated and talented Cybersecurity Software Developer.
Argonne is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where “dream teams” of world- class researchers work alongside experts from industry, academia, and other government laboratories to address vital national challenges in clean energy, environment, technology, and national security.
The ALCF enables breakthroughs in science and engineering by providing supercomputing resources and expertise to the research community. The Advanced Integration Group (AIG) develops software to support the ALCFs mission. The ALCF is adding a Cybersecurity Software Developer position to this team to assist in development of mission critical applications and ensure that industry standard security practices are being followed as part of the development lifecycle.
In this role you can expect to:
- Contribute to the architecture, design and development of new applications and processes.
- Ensure the security of applications developed by the AIG
- Perform security focused code reviews and assessments while working with other developers to address security concerns
- Frameworks: Django, Angular
- OS/Containers: Linux, Docker, Podman
- Source Code Control: Git, GitLab
- CI/CD: GitLab, Jenkins
- Experience performing security assessments of web applications via code reviews and the use of standard assessment tools (Practical experience with Django a significant plus)
- Some experience with web software development, particularly backend, services, APIs, and SQL (Django a significant plus)
- Ability to assess the tradeoffs of various security alternatives in an environment where open science is always at odds with security and articulate them appropriately whether the audience is your fellow developers or division management
- Participate in every phase of the software development process, from architecture through testing, bringing your security expertise to bear to ensure the ALCF achieves its open science mission needs while employing the appropriate security best practices across the entire ALCF ecosystem
- Small and remote team experience, taking guidance from a larger group of stakeholders and guiding changes within a small group of developers
- Ability to communicate openly and often with teammates and remain open to new ideas
- Experience with taking a leadership role among a team of software engineers and enabling them to meet their goals
- Security concepts such as access tokens, auth certificates, OAuth/SAML, idPs
- Experience with implementing zero-trust security principles during software development and system design
- Use of standard web security assessment tools
- Basic Gitlab experience: issue tracking, labeling, reporting, prioritization, merging, diffing, re-basing, distributed code reviews
- CI/CD workflows and tools in this space. Git, Gitlab and or Jenkins, pipeline/control scripts, YAML, debugging CI workflows
- Containerization; experience with virtual and containerized environments – Vagrant, Docker, podman, SingularityGeneral knowledge of containers, HPC and scientific job workflows with containers
- HPC workflows – software development, stacks, solve/runs, schedulers, and integrations. CI/CD pipelines, and HPC container technologies
This position can be hired at one of two levels; the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (RD3 or RD4) dependent upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills. The minimum requirements of the two levels are as follows:
- RD3: Bachelor’s and 8+ years of experience, or Master’s and 5+ years, or a PhD and 4+ years of experience, or equivalent
- RD4: Bachelor’s and 12+ years of experience, or Master’s and 7+ years, or a PhD and 6+ years of experience, or equivalent
Research Development (RD)
Cyber Security 3
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
- Address Lemont, IL, USA
- Salary Offer $100.000 ~
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 10-20