We are seeking a very experienced and versatile Oracle Database Platform owner who will be responsible for the overall architecture design, implementation, and maintenance of an evolving global large-scale, highly available, 24×7, enterprise IT Database services environment. Duties include the effective management of both Oracle and OpenDB Database Administrators , and technical team members.
- Recommend, implement, and deliver Database Platform technology solutions based on analysis and business requirements. Manage / Maintain Database Technology roadmaps, aligned with IT Strategy.
- This lead role requires a service oriented experience, taking ownership, and a focus on managing and resolving issues within SLA’s. Also, establishing and maintaining constant communication with clients; planning, communicating and completing changes to large production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved.
- Work with internal and external audit teams on SOX auditing requirements / develop and maintain SOX audit mitigation plans. This role will also own SOX controls related to the financial databases.
- Develop processes and methodology for testing, deployment, and maintenance to ensure scalability, consistency, and maintainability in an effort to decrease restore time and increase availability of databases. Automation experience required.
- Develop logging, metrics, and reporting programs to facilitate performance, security, monitoring, and predictive analysis.
- Create and maintain documentation for database platform and instance configuration, system mappings, processes, and service records.
- Produce reports and provide updates to the executive level of management on both positive performance and areas requiring improvement within the database technology areas.
- 10+ years of experience with the engineering and roll out of database DBMS systems is required. Database platforms should include Oracle, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, mySQL. In addition familiarity and knowledge with cloud native databases (Aurora, DynamoDB) and storage platforms is required. Knowledge of Redshift & Snowflake is advantageous. Experience in large-scale NoSQL data infrastructures such as Cassandra, MongoDB would also be advantageous.
- The role will require extensive database experience to help us develop new ways to look at problem solving, create and updating processes, and implementing technologies and tools. In addition, a thorough knowledge and demonstrated technical proficiency in Oracle & MS SQL Server along with experience with Data architectures, database design, and database development; stored procedures and views; backups, restores, and other DB maintenance tasks, database connectivity, database tuning and optimization, database security.
- The role will require the need to utilize data driven methods to design new services, capabilities, driving infrastructure architecture, engineering and design of databases and associated platforms.
- The ability to manage operational service provider resources to effectively keep the database environment running optimally.
- Role requires managing the overall database administration services function with operational excellence in a fast-paced environment, including:
- Owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests
- Leading and holding accountable a Managed Service Provider responsible for the day to day activities
- Reviewing service reports (e.g. backups, maintenance and error logs and monitoring metrics) on a daily basis to ensure that service-related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, working with the Managed Service Provider
- Responding to database-related alerts and escalations and working with developers and systems engineers to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems.
- Coordinating with an experienced team of IT support engineers and database administrators.
- The ability to manage operational service provider resources to effectively keep the Oracle & MS SQL environment running optimally.
- Automate database updates, backup, recovery, migrations, monitoring, and maintenance
- Minimum 10 years of experience; 15+ years preferred
- Excellent understanding of database platforms (Oracle / Oracle RAC / Exadata / MS SQL)
- Strong ability to clearly and effectively communicate with all levels of staff
- An established history and track record of providing excellent customer service
- Experience with enterprise storage systems desirable (NetApp, Isilon, XtremIO,)
- Experience working with VMware VMs
- Good Experience with Microsoft Windows Server, Linux & HPUX
- Strong working knowledge of LAN, VLAN and WAN topologies
- Experience with Oracle Database RMAN & Database backups
- Knowledge of performance tuning tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of programming language structures and logic.
- Knowledge of query languages such as SQL (structured query language).
- Knowledge of system and application security threats and vulnerabilities (e.g., buffer overflow, mobile code, cross-site scripting, Procedural Language/Structured Query Language [PL/SQL] and injections, race conditions, covert channel, replay, return-oriented attacks, malicious code).
- Proven knowledge working with Oracle-based technologies, such as databases and Fusion Middleware application server components (WebLogic, Oracle Webtier, Oracle Forms, Oracle Portal, Oracle Access Management, etc.).
- Experience installing, supporting, and troubleshooting Oracle / OpenDB database technologies.
- Experience with Rubrik & AWS & Azure Public Clouds desirable
- Expertise in designing and implementing highly available database solutions (Oracle RAC / MS SQL clusters / availability groups)
- Strong knowledge of capacity planning, storage, and general network best practices.
- Knowledge of infrastructure server hardware. Cisco UCS / HPE Servers / Nutanix Hyperconverged / Oracle Exadata
- Excellent planning, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to meet designated deadlines, exhibit professional business practices, and demonstrate the ability to manage multiple initiatives.
- Capable of managing tasks and assignment with little supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology
Our mission to find therapies for neurological and rare diseases is a unique focus within our industry and this shared purpose is what connects us as a team. We work together to overcome obstacles and to follow the science. We are resilient as we strive to make an impact on our patients’ lives and on changing the course of medicine. Together, we pioneer. Together, we thrive.
“Diversity is key for the survival of our ecosystem. I believe it is the single most important factor for a balanced flourishing environment where everyone thrives.”
- Guy Hadari – Chief Information Officer- Biogen
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Salary Offer $90K - $165K
- Address Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20