About the job
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Autonomous Vehicle (AV) Systems Safety Engineering team is responsible for developing technical direction, architecture and requirement specifications for the development of embedded AV systems related to the Autonomous Vehicle Platform (AVP). The team must analyze technologies and strategies for the AV platform and deliver system level safety requirements that ensure the vehicle can detect and mitigate hardware and software failures that can lead to a hazard. This is accomplished by developing technical safety requirements that support a robust design for E/E systems deployed on the vehicle. Successful candidates will have the ability to collaborate in very dynamic environment and can handle a wide variety of tasks and responsibilities. Candidates will need to be effective communicators who are able to pull together various work-streams throughout the company in order to successfully deliver the product.
What You’ll Be Able To Do
- Participate in AV forums within the company and develop internally aligned Ford point of view to support and collaborate with external regulatory and public domain agencies to develop guidelines and future rule making
- Support an effective global cross-functional review team to ensure the development of technical requirements and acceptance criteria is appropriate for global applications (e.g., FMVSS, UN ECE and GB)
- Generate/Format the data as needed to prove compliance with the standards, and provide support to ASO SMEs in authoring the documents.
- Support with technical recommendations on the exemptions, revisions, or interpretations of existing safety standards as needed.
- Work with ASO colleagues in developing rationale that provides a basis for the requirement in defining safe operation
- Engage with NHTSA (for the US market) and other government entities to shape emerging requirements in this dynamic field.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Systems, Computer Engineering or related field
- Two or more years of regulatory or industry standards development
- Two or more years of experience using MATLAB doing data processing
- At least two years of experience developing features using FMEA and FaultTree analysis
Our preferred requirements:
- Knowledge of FMVSS, ECE regulations, Functional safety and Cybersecurity is a plus
- Knowledge of Ford processes, GPDS and GTDS deliverables, program development and compliance processes
- Experience with authoring requirements and/or test procedures within Ford system.
- Strong collaboration and positive work demeanor
- Autonomous vehicle interest and comfortable working in a dynamic area
- Strong written and oral communication skills
What you’ll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you’ll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You’ll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we’d love to have you join us.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.protected veteran status.
- Information Technology & Services
- Computer Software