About the job
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
As a key member of our Information Technology group, you’ll play a critical part in shaping the future of mobility. If you’re looking for the chance to leverage advanced technology to redefine the transportation landscape, enhance the customer experience and improve people’s lives, this is the opportunity for you. Join us and challenge your IT expertise and analytical skills to help create vehicles that are as smart as you are.
Ford’s IT organization is broadening its core competency within the area of Embedded Cyber Security in the automotive environment. We are both researching and reviewing new enterprise-wide features and technologies, as well as providing frameworks, processes and tools to help the research.
Technology is advancing, connection mechanisms are growing, and consumers and hackers are becoming more sophisticated. With increasing networking between modules and access points into the vehicle, the attack surface has increased thereby opening up new potential vulnerabilities. Automobiles are no longer mere mechanical devices but are controlled by dozens of digital computers coordinated by internal networks. While all this technology has allowed for better personalized experiences, seamless integration into a person’s lifestyle, differential services, predictive diagnostics and safer driving conditions, the increase in complexity drives the need for advanced security and data solutions.
We are expanding the role of advanced embedded computing platforms, coupled with cloud-based services, to deliver applications which will redefine the experience of owning, maintaining, driving and interacting with Ford Motor Company vehicles. Security needs to be built into each of these growing technologies.
What You’ll Be Able To Do
The Automotive Cybersecurity Engineer will act as the technical lead designing security into our vehicles. Engineers will evaluate, critique, and drive secure designs from concept to implementation. Automotive Cybersecurity Engineers identify new methods of securing our technologies from drafting specifications to executing testing.
Engineers need to be able to understand and evaluate risk for in-vehicle systems. Recognizing and accommodating the limitations of embedded in-vehicle systems is essential. Engineers are expected to take ownership of assignments including developing in-depth understanding of the technologies under review, working to close security gaps and mitigate identified vulnerabilities, and report out to security management. Over time, Engineers will grow to become subject matter experts acting to develop and mature security controls and features in the vehicle.
Some Other Responsibilities Include
- Vehicle level solution and process integration
- Develop and maintain security requirements and design validation methodologies (DVM)
- Develop and maintain technical documentation as required
- Provide training and consulting to internal Ford function teams
- Conduct a threat model to identify the vulnerabilities to vehicles
- Perform risk analysis so that appropriate countermeasures can be developed
- Support major product programs/new features with security needs
- Collaborate on Advanced Engineering projects with internal and external partners
- Research technologies and security benchmarking data gathering
- Limited traveling required (conferences, regional team meetings, government/academia visits, etc.)
The Minimum Qualifications We Seek
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or Computer Science
- 1+ years of experience with embedded and/or automotive systems
- 1+ years of experience with in-vehicle network architecture, modules, and protocols (CAN etc.)
- 1+ years of experience with system engineering, development, and testing
The Preferred Qualifications We Seek
- 1+ years professional Security experience or security focus as part of degree program
- Understanding of architecture, development, design principals
- Experience verifying vulnerabilities and weaknesses in system design
- Experience applying security fundamentals (such as Cryptography, keying, PKI, TLS)
- Experience with QNX Development, Embedded Linux, AutoSAR
- Experience with IOT security
- Conceptual understanding of security methodologies and challenges
- Ability to develop and maintain engineering documentation including requirements, specifications, test plans, etc.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong communication and analytical skills
- Master’s degree or higher in technical discipline
What You Will Receive In Return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran.
For information on Ford’s benefits and compensation, click here:
- Information Technology & Services
- Computer Software
- Information Technology
- Address Dearborn, MI, USA
- Salary Offer $50.000 ~ $100.000
- Experience Level Junior
- Total Years Experience 0-5
- Academic Degree Bachelors